NEW YORK | 29th St & 5th Ave | FT | 43 FLOORS

I agree. I’d take a simple glass box over what BIG had proposed, but I suspect that KPF will come up with something very nice.

Maybe they can design a cantilever over Marble collegiate to use up their buildable floor area to avoid going too tall.

I’d like to see a 1,000’+ spire here. I suspect that it can be situated in a way that does not obstruct views of the ESB.

3 Likes

I suspect people will complain about the views being obstructed no matter what gets built.

4 Likes

I concur. Another 1,000 footer in Midtown would be further evidence of the absolute dominance of The City and The Age of Ramses.

3 Likes

Build a tall, narrow supertall. That would look best in context of the ESB, and would obviously enhance the Midtown skyline.

ESB profile will be enhanced by more tall, slim towers in proximity. The skyline works as a symphony.

3 Likes

I wonder when we’ll hear some news.

Has anyone been by here recently?

I’m curious about the status of the three small buildings just west of the site on the 30th St side. HFZ owned them. I hope they come down soon.

1 Like

The site was pretty quiet when I walked by last week. Those 3 buildings are still there with no signs of activity.

I think there was some work being done on the Gilsey house on Broadway though

3 Likes

Thanks, Oppi. I rarely make it south of 42nd St these days.

I hope this gets canceled….

Van Barton is building a completely different project with a new architect. KPF rarely disappoints.

1 Like

The massing of a 700 ft building would dismantle the aesthetics of the current neighborhood including the sight lines of the Empire State Building.

I think that the sight lines for the ESB will be permanently doomed by 1,100’ 262 Fifth.

Let’s hope that gets canceled too.

Doesn’t the city council know they are dooming the ionic status of New York’s landmark when they approved these buildings at their heights? Why then do they want to cancel “Cuomo’s towers” and shorten 15 Penn Plaza and 175 Park Avenue?

1 Like

Imagine if people complained about the Empire State building ruining the view of their favorite building at the time. Your comment and every other one about ESB sightlines hold exactly the same weight, none.

3 Likes

Well the Empire State Building had good design.
If this is a KPF tower, let it block whatever it wants. But the old renderings were disgraceful and didn’t deserve to take such a role in the skyline

1 Like

If the Empire State Building is covered up, then what artistically does the skyline become? What would make it iconic?

You’re acting as if someone if putting a blanket over the building, just look at it from somewhere else. Also this ignores the many other significant NYC buildings