NEW YORK | 262 Fifth Ave | 860 FT | 60 FLOORS

The footprint of the tower has definitely shrunk, that’s out of the question now. I’d like to know if this is due to the tower being cut in height or if this was a change from before that.

It’s very very hard to tell, but I think the first pair of double small portholes is now visible behind the lower portion of the scaffolding. Depending on what time frame of the week the rate falls in, I’d say 1- maybe 2 floors are being built every week, it’s on the 12th-13th or so floor atm and is about ~215’ tall, already 1/4 its projected height.

16 Likes

This one will ruin the view of the Empire State Building from Madison Square Park.
It will also block the view of the Flatiron Building from the top of the Empire State Building.

https://www.instagram.com/skylinehunters/

14 Likes

From that perspective yes, it will undoubtedly interupt the view of the ESB, but this building will only affect the view of the ESB from approximately half the park, the other half is unaffected.

As to blocking the Flatiron Building, the probability of that is large as it is in the direct path of sight, but I think that will need to be something actually calculated or determined after the building is built. Since the building is shorter and slightly skinnier than originally proposed, though not to a degree enough to not hide the Flatiron, it may not fully affect the view from the 102th floor, but it most likely will from the 86th.

3 Likes

That’s life in the big city.

8 Likes

The pedestrian/sitting area in front of and to the side of the Flatiron building is very popular amongst tourists taking pictures of the ESB. Sad to see that view go.

4 Likes

Some rare interior pictures

An example of the porthole within the interior.

Another interior photo.

10 Likes

I’m curious to see how this one comes together because as it is now, it looks ugly. The rendering pics make it look nice though. It definitely interests me.

20 Likes

It already looks weird.

1 Like

the renderings didn’t have that middle column structure, someone correct me if i’m mistaken.

1 Like

Today.

19 Likes

I like “weird” architecture. :heart_eyes:

Here a few of my other favorite works of ‘Weird Architecture’…
https://owlcation.com/humanities/10-Amazingly-Weird-Buildings-from-Around-the-World

1 Like

That is correct, any renders of the building that exist do not reflect the current design changes made after the building was shortened and made smaller, they should basically all be ignored at this point.

The column’s shifted on the north side at what is possibly a mech floor (though it doesn’t have to be for the structure to change) to match what has been going on on the south side. At this point it’s also hard to say whether there will be the 2 pairs of portholes or not. I wouldn’t be surprised if the building is also shorter than 863 ft lol.

These 2 pics are from 2 Sundays ago, not yesterday, but it basically rose 2 floors in a week.

These are from this past Sunday/yesterday

13 Likes

You can now start to see it over the treetops in Madison Sq.

We’re in the endgame now :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

Where’s Mr. Kurtz?

This is about the time we may be able to see some of the “unique” design/structural features of this building. I read the following description about the “innovative” architectural features: structural core and mechanical core, cantilleiverd floor plates, the open plan unobstructed floors with not columns.

Here is the quote from the Architects that I find interesing - hope to see more recent updates on the final desing details, such as the Porthole locations, height, etc. I think this a fantastic looking work of Architecture: love it.
The building itself is guided by some unique concepts: The form of the skyscraper is shaped by a unique structural system that separates the building’s functioning core (elevators, mechanical systems, etc.) from its living spaces. This creates expansive, unobstructed, column-free and customizable full-floor residences — an inventive design solution. Two signature elements when viewed from the outside: The eastern facade will be aluminum and glass, with perforated oversized “porthole” shaped windows.

@infoshare

I’d add that this applies to any material based on the original proposal. We already know its outdated because the floors are not column free/unobstructed.

But in general, I dont see anything unique about this building whether it relates to the structure or the design/architecture of it. The structure is definitely not unique. And whether that statement came from the developer or the architect is actually laughable :laughing:.

1 Like

So is it possible that the insane designs we’ve seen won’t rise? That would be a dream come true.

Careful what you wish for… Say what you will about the “current” design - it at least looks sleek and uniquely modern. From what we’ve seen so far with construction, I have a sense that some VE is afoot…

2 Likes