NEW YORK | 262 Fifth Ave | 860 FT | 60 FLOORS

I’m also questioned as to what tax break the dev would’ve been looking for in only building the foundation.

Foundation work had barely started to get underway in July/August, the bottom of the crane is visible in the last early August update, even with how small this site is they’re probably still working on the foundations and probably wont reach groundlevel until maybe December, more of the crane sections may have been installed but I don’t think the jib will have been installed yet.

1 Like

I’d imagine its probably to secure the zoning rights to build it as a 1000ft tall tower in case there are any attempted roadblocks down the road.

1 Like

It also shows the financer that you are in earnest re/construction.

1 Like

I think they still need a full construction loan. They might be having some trouble with that because of the Russia thing. Lenders might be wary to credit a 9-figure loan to a Russia tied developer at the moment. But not everyone is so discriminatory. They’ll find someone to provide a loan.

1 Like

Was the developer russian? I thought it was just the architects? Or was that a different development

I am visiting New York next week. I will walk by this project and check it out. If this building turns out getting built as proposed, It will also be the one of the last times (maybe even last time) I will get to enjoy the full scale and majesty of the Empire State Building.

5 Likes

I wonder what’s going on with Vanbarton’s nearby site that it acquired through foreclosure from HFZ. The last I read, it had a dispute with the Church.

1 Like

@mcart both are, the developer is Israeli-Russian, he’s done a lot of projects in Russia, but the “branch” of his development team working on this project (Five Points Development) is based in NY.

@bmosborne That’s kind of dramatic, it’s not like the building is surrounding all of the Empire State Building. This building may “block” the ESB in views south of around 27th St on 5th Ave, but just walk forward a block to 28th and you can still see all of it, so I’m confused as to what you are talking about.

@robertwalpole I don’t know the current status of the site itself, but Marble Collegiate Church is no longer involved in the project, it’s not in dispute with Vanbarton anymore. Vanbarton is developing the site by themselves now. There probably hasn’t been any news since January because they hired KPF to design the new building and it takes a while to design buildings (SD,DD, & CDs) up to the point of the start of construction.

10 Likes

Good to hear KPF is designing the building now.

3 Likes

For 3 West 29th St across the street, not this one, *just for clarification lol. This one is still the porthole building.

I should have been more specific, I was reacting to your response to @robertwalpole which I believed he was referring to 3 West 29th. Sorry. Although I wouldn’t mind KPF redesigning :poop:262 5th Ave as well.

2 Likes

Imagine viewing the Empire State Building from the Brooklyn bridge or Washington square park. Will you see it after this building is built?

This is what I was referring to re: 3 W 29th

The description of the view of ESB not being blocked was quite clear and to-the-point: then having it demonstrated with an illustration is as definitive and indisputable as it gets. Brilliant. I enjoy seeing the our built environment being shared and discussed in this forum. Cheers to YIMBY too…

That being said: I don’t believe idea of “view corridors” at historic sites is something that must be officially established in NYC - as is the case in London and other various cities.

1 Like

From the Brooklyn Bridge for the majority of the length of it this building will appear directly to the left of the ESB, at some points the slightest “touching” it closer to the Manhattan side but as you walk towards Brooklyn it would appear to slowly distance itself.

As for the view from Washington Square Park, per my other post, well that’s south of 27th Street on 5th Ave, so yes, it would appear infront of the right side of the ESB, it’s just that the closer you get to 27th St the more it will block.

I understand your general concern of that particular viewpoint of the building being semiblocked but when you say the “full scale” of the ESB that’s not even something you could see/appreciate unless right next to it or from a helicopter because you can’t see all of it from further away to begin with. Besides the height, this building isn’t really that much different than other highrises in the area that block the south side of the ESB from certain angles and vantage points.

Nonetheless, I can try to make a “scope” map showing the swath of viewpoints where this building will appear “infront” of the ESB.

@robertwalpole well from that article it still seems like the church is not in dispute with Vanbarton anymore. I just know that they aren’t “involved” anymore because of the foreclosure. I don’t know about the selling of a lot or air rights mentioned in the article though.

4 Likes

A map or rendered view would be helpful. Thanks!

It was the air right issue that I was referring to. VanBarton seems to be behind schedule with this project, and I was wondering if that’s the reason why.

If KPF is redesigning the building then I hope it stays as thin as it is. It’s thin-ness was the only thing lessening its view blocking impact of ESB.

I think we’re discussing this project at this point, maybe bring the talk here to avoid confusion:

3 Likes

Could you or @rgarri4 please share a render looking from Downtown and looking from the Brooklyn Bridge?