NEW YORK | 2461 Broadway | FT | 19 FLOORS

mcart: You don’t have to be irrational to dislike these cantilevers. Some overhangs are great—like in the Jenga building in Tribeca. But it is definitely not irrational to dislike this building. Like GSPLover I think this one is a kludge. And you don’t need to verbally bash people over the head to disagree with them. A little civility goes a long way toward making a conversation useful and intelligent. Try it.

5 Likes

Well I was referring to more the dislike of cantilevers in general, this building I don’t know. I’d need to see a wider shot of the area to really determine but from this small picture the cantilever is absolutely fine, it’s not even that crazy of an addition lmao. This building is super safe.
Being passive aggressive? Definitely. Verbally bashing them over the head? Eh that’s a stretch.

1 Like

I actually recall my kindergarten play area had a large selection of wooden ‘building blocks’ - I spent a good amount of play time putting those wood blocks in a stack.

When the stack at the top got a bit to big, it all came tumbling down; so a basic lesson in stability (and gravity) was learned.

I assume my initial ‘disorientation’ or disdain for those cantilevers in general goes back to this type of basic early learning experiences and human tendency to prefer ‘stable LOOKING’ structures.

Once I get past that initial reaction, these buildings are a source of visual delight and fascination - Architecture I actually enjoy viewing. I believe that will be the general consensus and these buildings will become a popular success as an architectural design style.

1 Like

11 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like