NEW YORK | 218 Madison Ave | 10 Stories | Ft

This is a nice old building. The one-story POS next door also is coming down.

April 29th

2 Likes

Meh. I wish they’d just replace the 1-story junk. The red building just needs some TLC.

Oh well.

I agree.

is this the plan?

2 Likes

what was there before was 10 times better

This new building is a perfect example of why ‘modern architecture’ is sometimes deservingly called “ugly”. All works of classical (or traditional) architecture are tasteful or attractive or otherwise aesthetically pleasing: and I do not quite understand why that is something that most people also find to be true.

That being said: there is more to this issue than aesthetics. The older existing building was simply ‘obsolete’ - either absolutely obsolete, or at least relatively obsolete.

An in-depth description on what factors determine the relative degrees of “obsolescence” in a given building is posted below. Download the PDF format for an interesting read. The question regarding the viability of the existing structure at 218 Madison Avenue is more about ‘obsolescence’ than it is about the ‘aesthetics’ of the existing structure on this site. Enjoy the read…

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264275120313123#:~:text=‘Absolute%20obsolescence’%20refers%20to%20the,because%20user%20demands%20have%20changed.

2 Likes