NEW YORK | 2 Penn Plaza (Renovation) | 412 FT | 29 FLOORS

9 Likes

13 Likes

MSG needs a new facade.

5 Likes

I can tell you, if it were up to me then I could submit my Concept on the redesign of the MSG. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

same, I would lift the entire bowl as just a start.

MSG need to be torn down. Its hilarious that a place like NY does crap like this. This level of cheapness in embarrassing for our global city.

1 Like

I agree, but it seems that no one is willing to oppose the Dolans. Even the mayor backed down from his comment about moving MSG. I think that MSG should be near Yankee Stadium.

Furthermore, I don’t understand the significance of the operating permit. One would think that the expiration thereof would mean that MSG must move. Apparently, however, that’s not the case.

Lastly, the city should start taxing MSG very heavily (and I’m an anti-tax guy).

3 Likes

The permit is the insignificant aspect of MSG because Dolan owns the building/property, it would be different if they were renting out the building or it was owned by the city/state. But because he owns it he can do whatever he wants even without a permit.

Yes, but does the permit authorize him to use operate his property as a sports/entertainment venue, such that, when it expires, he can no longer host sports, concerts, etc.?

Hopefully, YIMBY can attend this and ascertain the status of plans to move MSG.

Well no because he’d need the continuing operating permit to do that/those things but I meant more so that because he owns the building he can just let it sit there.

1 Like

That’s what I’m getting at. I don’t know if, in fact, the Rangers/Knicks, etc. can play there without the permit. If they can’t, then the City has all the power. MSG would have to move in order to have an arena for the Dolans’ teams.

The worst arena in sports must move to let Penn Station expand.

This is an utterly vile piece of excrement.

8 Likes

Correct me if I’m misunderstood, but excluding the mini restaurants inside, does that mean he just going to let MSG (the structure itself) sitting vacant?

Apologies, I’m pretty naive to this.

I don’t know how much the permit covers for the different functions in the building besides the arena itself and hulu theater, but yes, he can just let it sit there, he may not be making money if nothing is going on but he doesnt pay taxes.

1 Like

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification.

Looks like @robertwalpole is going to get really upset if that’s the case lol :sweat_smile:

1 Like

He owns the land and can probably develop offices towers. However, his teams will need a place to play, so a new arena would have to be built.

Even so, if he built a new venue, he’d still probably try to get another operating permit for a number of years for the teams to play and to continue to generate revenue while a new venue is being built. He can’t close the arena now as there aren’t many other options for his teams to play at, Barclays is already home to other teams so it wouldn’t be ideal to share.

Of course. If he committed to moving, I’m sure that the city would do that. It would probably take at least five years to build a new venue.

Do you recall how long Barclays took? I don’t, but I think that it was about 3-5 years.

1 Like

Yes, and “if” should be highlighted. If he doesn’t decide to move I’d fare that he would atleast reclad MSG to update it with the changing surroundings in the Penn Station area, considering that 2 PENN is already undergoing those changes, MSG should’ve been included in the project even though the 2 are owned by two different entities. And even though I’d like to see the Hulu Theater go to open up the sidewalk on that side of 8th ave and to open up Penn Station the slightest more, I don’t think it’d go in the case that he did reclad the arena.

Barclays took 2.5 years to build, I believe all the deals before construction took about 2 years.

But once again, if he needs an operating permit for the Knicks and Rangers to play there, then the city can basically force MSG to move since the permit expires next year.

They could also still just renew the permit/approve a new one if Dolan submits one, we shouldn’t just assume that the city will try to push him out of the building just because the permit is expiring.