NEW YORK | 2 Penn Plaza (Renovation) | 412 FT | 29 FLOORS

I’m very excited to see the large cladding panes for the expansion portion go up. But even more than that, even though the entire area will be construction sidewalk sheds 10x more than it already has been, I’m awaiting the construction sidewalk shed on this in particular to be taken down, it will make for a nice constrast between a finished product surrounded by construction even if it is mostly only an upgrade/reclad but for the addition.

As far as the overall reclad of the original building goes, it’s very intriguing how they are just putting the new pieces of facade on top of the old ones then dismantling the old ones after the fact. I can’t say ive ever seen a reclad done like this.

3 Likes

Hopefully, it will set the precedent for more reclads. They should start with this PoS.

10 Likes

14 Likes

12 Likes

12 Likes

The thing remains boring despite new discs.

The original 60’s façade was boring, atleast glass can reflect it’s surroundings and the sky and blend in.

2 Likes

With yellow diagonal lines like at Tour Hekla I would like it better.

I stopped by and its coming along nicely and looks amazing.

Looks like part of the crown is lit which is epic.

10 Likes

It’s still lipstick on a pig, but it’s pretty damn good lipstick. I think the finished product will look surprisingly good.

1 Like

Maybe on the renovation to the original tower itself, but the new addition/construction is welcomed as original. The transparency and size of the windows on the addition looks amazing already.

3 Likes

The new addition looks really impressive in person.

14 Likes

I don’t want to bump this without an update, but these are great photos!

Even though the base looks very overwhelming atm, I’m sure once the underside ceiling construction is installed (as appears to be beginning to be installed) and everything is said and done with the geometric stripe lighting, all the retail windows lit up, the sidewalk rebuilt, the construction shed removed, etc etc… it will look very welcoming! I love the size of those windows!

5 Likes

Once the work is finished and all the construction netting and barricades are gone, it will look much nicer. I can’t picture it yet since it’s so dark underneath.

And it’s a much better use of space than what was previously there. It’ll definitely be an upgrade! Can’t wait for that LED ceiling effect, if that’s still happening?

9 Likes

Oh wow, I don’t recall there ever being an LED ceiling or even seeing a render for it for that matter, that will definitely light up the space, and that’s an understatement especially at night. I can’t speak to if it’s still happening though.

All I knew about the ceiling is that there were triangulated led strips running throughout it, which are also subtly visible in that render.

As I search it now, I do see some other renders with the LED screen, but not many and it seems to be the only difference between those with it and those without it.

2 Likes

From pictures of that mockup they had, it had an LED display as an awning. I would imagine it would be similar to that, but have a white ceiling above it, intensifying the display/ lights. Though I doubt it’ll be this bright during the day, that’s just the render.

This area is quickly becoming Times Square 2 with all the lights at night.

1 Like

Ah, I do remember seeing the mock up lights, I don’t know why I never remember seeing a render until you posted that one though.

Either way, I do think that would greatly increase the night ambiance of the area. Even during the day, with the ceiling backdrop making it brighter, it’d still be a cool installation. I think if it is still an aspect of the project, the question is if they will just be sparsely spaced LED lights like from the mockup or if they will be in a more densely packed array of LED boards, more akin to those at Times Square.

2 Likes

I hope the resolution is better than this test

9 Likes

That’s what I’m saying/ hoping for. But even if it is the same, the backdrop ceiling behind it should make it look the slightest denser and brighter because the light will be diffused across a surface and not in space.

2 Likes

I’m also hoping for something like that, but LED resolution has advanced so much in the last 5 years (just look at times square) That I can only imagine a test from 2 years ago will be very dated today.

2 Likes