NEW YORK | 1710 Broadway | 633 FT | 54 FLOORS

this seems like a prime candidate for a “facadectomy” Glass sandwiched between Beaux Arts would be unfortunate.

Sadly, I think it will just be razed.

1 Like

Extell is selling the site piecemeal, retaining some of its air rights. This is now being marketed for residential as 211 w 54th - 288k sqft available on a smaller plot.

2 Likes

whoop dee doo!

well that plan was nixed. If Extell still retains the rest of the properties, maybe this site still has supertall prospects.

Extell Development has reeled in a $122.4 million refinancing on a development site it owns in Midtown, according to property records.

Extell originally meant to develop the parcel along with surrounding lots itself, but it had a hard time convincing neighboring landlords to sell, Cohen told Commercial Observer. Instead, Extell changed course. It rebranded the site, which had been known as 1710 Broadway , and called it 211 West 54th Street , which it deemed a more suitable residential address. Extell then started shopping it around to residential developers, hoping to sell for somewhere around $200 million.

A sale for $200 million would have represented a loss for Extell; it bought the site for $268 million in 2017.

not sure how recent this is.

4 Likes

Minus the plants, pretty cool. I always wonder why the include vegetation on some other towers, and than the final plan never has shrubs or trees.

2 Likes

it’s a classic arch rendering trick of the trade, i.e. ‘put a bird on it’ #PutaTreeOnIt …now it’s sustainable and edgy!

3 Likes

Interesting. Thank you sir. Yeah I guess now that I think about it, makes sense. They do a lot of that in Miami renderings. They love the vegetation down there lol.

1 Like

bkhights is right about that lol. In architecture school, adding people and vegetation to renderings helped “fill in” spaces visually. Makes it more “natural” and “lived in”. My classmates and I did it all the time, although not usually for skyscrapers lol. So yes, sustainable, edgy, and less boring-looking.

1 Like
2 Likes

Not sure how I feel about this one. That’s a very nice building designed by a significant architect (Albert Kahn). The replacement will almost surely be glass and will visually interrupt a nice little prewar stretch on Broadway. Perhaps a facadectomy is in order? A lot of people don’t like those but I think this is a place where it could work (the late lamented Bancroft Building was another).

3 Likes

yeah facadectomy would be nice, but they surely won’t do that, unfortunately… yes, the way it connects the two other fabulous classical pre-wars is crucial… that will be lost!

2 Likes

Extell isn’t kind to older buildings, see 57th street. A shame to see it go, but if its for a supertall or at least a tower with a great design, so be it.

Jeezus. Right now the next project in the forum is a measly old industrial building in Jersey City getting a facadectomy. Extell can’t do that for an Albert Kahn on Broadway with an Indiana limestone facade.

2 Likes

Extell, the busiest skyscraper builder in America, appears to be moving forward on a large and long-planned tower near Times Square. From a prominent corner site located at 1715 Broadway and West 54th Street, the developer has filed plans to erect a 54-story hotel with 670 rooms.

The slender tower will rise 633 feet to its roof, making it one of the tallest hotel buildings in the country. The tallest hotel in the U.S. just happens to be the Marriott Residence Inn located directly across the street.

5 Likes

Demo permits issued…

3 Likes

This is a drag IMO. We’re losing a very handsome pre-war designed by an important architect for what appears to be a mediocre, not particularly tall replacement. Stuff like this is a real mask-off moment for NYC’s “preservationist” community–they will go to bat for a parking lot in the Seaport but not a peep about this or the Bancroft Building. They don’t care about preservation, they care about NIMBYism.

5 Likes

Do we know who the architect is for this not so good recent design, I doubt that Goldstein Hill & West is the architect of this newer proposal. The “original” proposal was much much better. Atleast with the first proposal the podium was lively and interactive with the shape of it’s façade, but this newer bland design looks like it could’ve easily integrated the current building’s façade into it like others have mentioned.

1 Like

Not sure who the design architect is. A firm like Adjmi, CookFox, or even RAMSA could have incorporated the old building as the base of a nice contemporary masonry tower. But no, instead let’s bust out the wrecking balls…