NEW YORK | 16 West 57th St | FT | FLOORS

This could definitely verge on supertall. With Solow’s building across the street, I would think they try to do something hotel or office in the base – with absurdly high floor heights, a la the proposal near Columbus Circle (6 Columbus). That gives the condos a height boost for $$$$ and opens up possibility of 1,000’+++ (max 1,200 I’d say).

This is 63K SF and (possibly going to be) 700’, so why not a supertall here?

6 Likes

Interesting design. I hope more details of it arrives.

Could very well be. I just think in this market, adding more units and possibly making the tower bulkier could chew into the height factor. More units in the sense that it will make up for the risk of making a tower that has a price range of 220 CPS or CPT in terms of those ultra luxury units. Not that the market has crashed in that sector, but I think a slow down in such units in the last quarters would make some hesitant.

Yeah I was thinking maybe a hotel mixed in with residential would be the sweet spot. If anything, the revenue of a hotel could reduce the risk of having to wait “X” amount of time to sell those upper units.

BTW, forgot about 6 Columbus. I wonder how that is doing? The design is stunning.

1 Like

Probably one for the next development cycle, like this site. Remember there’s also 36 CPS which will be right around the corner from here.

1 Like

Really like it. Reminds me of One Blackfriars in London.

I’d like to see this built somewhere along 57th. I quite like the design a lot

Very elegant, statuesque. As pictured, I think it could transform even a relatively plain neighborhood.

The former ACS building on 56th, which is part of Solow’s assemblage. (For clarity, it’s the black PoS, not the little Georgian-style building next to it.)

The ACS is an eyesore on a street lined with little gems, fortunately demo permits were filed!

1 Like

I walked by the ACS building this morn (Sep 13th), and it looked like they intend to start demo ASAP. I did not see the 57th St side though.

The Ferndale Hotel across on the south side of W 56th looks great.

1 Like

Netting now covers the former ACS building on
56th, but solow’s adjacent buildings at 16-18 W 57th lie fallow.

4 Likes

So Low!

These buildings are beautiful.

So Low is like the Taliban.

I dont remember who said this already, but I do think architects should start following steinway’s example and do some facadectomies.

I agree

We cannot get rid of beautiful old buildings, but we also cannot staunch NYC’s growth. That’s the only way I see how. Demolish some 60s, 70s and 80s atrocities instead.

I agree, Solow should start by demolishing his Solow building. It’s a graceless slab of black marring the view of the south of Central Park.

1 Like

9 W. 57 is one of the most valuiable office buildings on the planet. Worth many billions. Would never happen.

I think it’s a pretty good-looking tower, BTW. Among the best 1970’s-era towers in NYC.

5 Likes

I agree.

Agree. I like it.

Are we talking about the same reverse-oreo tower?

I really can’t stand this filthy pig. So low!