NEW YORK | 111 West 57th St | 1,428 FT | 91 FLOORS

Same here. I accept visa, master card, money wire, paypal, and even bitcoins.

Anyone that wants to help me and wiggleworth get some units here, gladly appreciate the effort. :wink:

Even if I had the 3rd floor, I’d be ecstatic. :smile:

1 Like

Chris we could run a bar and name it Puzzles.
Haha. Anyways I was wondering… does the lobby on this tower go right up to the street or is it set back? Or is that just the tower?

If I’m interpreting the diagrams right, it looks like there’s a set back. So not on the street itself, hence the distance from the sidewalk.

Holy s.h.i.t!

Masters of the Universe, you’re home awaits!

http://www.josehdz.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/111West57th_01.jpg

6 Likes

Great diagram, Otie!

My favorite tower rising next to 30 Hudson. Other day I had to be in Newark, and 432 was visible all the way from Union/Hillside,NJ on I-78. Made me think how these would look from there, some 20 miles away or so. Even the ESB is very dominant from that distance, but you get a feel for 432’s roof.

2 Likes

I agree, Chris.

This and Verre are two landmarks rising simultaneously.

I have a feeling that Verre will go vertical before Steinway does as the latter seems perpetually stuck in excavation mode. I’m just way too excited about this one!

1 Like

Amazing diagram Otie! Sweet.

@chris08876
It’s nice to hear some love given to 30 HY. A fantastic tower.

My top 5 ranking so far for supertalls:

1. Steinway
  2. Verre
  3. One Vanderbilt
  4. 2 WTC (Suprise!!)
  5. 30 Hudson Yards

I have a number of observations to make about this intriguing structure:

The cladding design is certainly a welcome departure, classy and classic, from the usual smooth sheath of glass and aluminum for high-rise towers. However, I’m wondering what kind of serviceable life the designers are figuring on for the glazed terracotta. The terracotta on the Woolworth Building, which opened in 1913, was in such bad shape that it required a major renovation by the turn of the century. The results of that renovation leave something to be desired according to some commentators and I have to imagine the SHoP architects aren’t unaware of this, especially having recently relocated their offices to that building. Atmospheric pollution was obviously a major cause of the terracotta deterioration but admittedly it was at its worst up to the immediate post-WW2 years and is much improved now.

Nevertheless, given the density of vehicular traffic in the city, pollution from this source alone must still be significant and with this in mind I wonder if the designers have conducted any accelerated weathering on the cladding. As an alternate to terracotta, has the design team considered something like, say, vitreous-enameled panels of similar profile which would have the durability of terracotta with more resistance to pollution, and which could also be readily and routinely cleaned along with the window glass. Additionally, significant weight savings would be achieved with enameled panels.

Need the metal framing of the cladding, with its “filigree” embellishment, necessarily be bronze? In relatively short order, it will dull down to the familiar dark brown, copper-oxide finish and will it be any more serviceable than bronze anodized aluminum? Visually, it would be hard to tell the difference. And will the aesthetic value of the sculptured-metal, filigree detail be warranted by its high cost? I’ll concede that when the bronze still has its factory-fresh glint, there might well be interesting light refection effects, particularly as the sun arcs across the east, south and west elevations, the north not so much. But after oxidation takes place, will these effects still be evident? Moreover, the detail won’t be discernible from any vantage point outside the tower. The tenants will be able to see it of course from within but is that of sufficient marketing value to warrant its cost. I’m inclined to think that bronze and terracotta might be more cachet driven than practical cladding material selection.

Finally, I’m puzzled how it’s intended that window cleaning will be facilitated on this tower. At 157 W. 57th St., a customized cradle was devised that emerges from a slide-open panel in the roof cladding and by way of a telescoping jib, it’s able to access all four elevations of the building. A similar idea could work on the highest roof level of 111 W. 57th St., albeit not necessarily enclosed, but the jib would be in conflict with the vertical elements that continue upward beyond the last roof level to form the “spire” or finials of the building. Without seeing any details for what might be planned, the only way I can see a cradle being provided on the north elevation (the most important given its view over Central Park) is a cantilever track at the top roof level, outboard of the building elevation. Close up, it might not be too elegant but at 1,400 feet plus above street level, who would be any the wiser?

1 Like

Moving this into the 111 W57 thread!

Dec 10th

Midtown NYC, Dec 10th by Reid Wilson, on Flickr

Midtown NYC, Dec 10th by Reid Wilson, on Flickr

5 Likes

Great update!

Jan 14, 2016

Uploading…

2 Likes

How I wish I could see what’s actually going on in there. Were you able to get a closer look? I’m just super-pumped to see this go vertical. Hopefully within the next few months…

It seems that they’re still deconstructing portions of the 58th St building .

So no foundation yet, I presume.

I don’t think so. I can Check next week