Metropolitan North Project | 1,500 FT | 100 FLOORS

Come on Bezos, write a check and get it built!

2 Likes

To all the people who have contributed to this thread;
@bmosborne @mcart @DeSelby @MarshallKnight @NewYorkCity76 @5Bfilms @chused @GSPLover

These are some of the rave reviews this plan has gotten at the SkyscraperPage Forum thread.

Let’s hope that this one gets completed like it was planned to, it would absolutely change NY for the better.

I swear, if this could be revamped to be 2,000 ft to the pinnacle with a neo=Art Deco take, it could very well become the crowning jewel of this new age of skyscrapers in NYC. This could be the giant we’ve all been waiting for.

Even if somebody completed it as it was first proposed it would be the indisputable master of the city.

This would have been just as iconic and would have added greatly to Midtown’s classic skyline. ESB would have had a big brother.

When Midtown goes further south, MetLife North … can be the new icon of that part of Manhattan. I would like the building to be a few hundred feet more than it was originally conceived to be. Would be a new ESB.

This building to me is what New York is all about. BUILD IT!!! (or finish it). Maybe we could start a petition. There has got to be at least one developer who has entertained the idea recently.

This building is amazing. Just think of it, a building from 1933 that would be taller than 1WTC

MetLifeNorth has it all: graceful yet complex lines, individually framed windows, beautiful white limestone facade, art deco engravings, marble domes, incredible lobby, visual strength, attractive terraces… It’s the Rolls Royce of skyscrapers. Had it been built to full height, it would easily be as beloved as the ESB… probably more so.

Can’t They… just… FINISH IT!!! please please please

This building is so beautiful.

The building is AMAZING inside, and HUGE. Even at its current stumpy height, it’s nearly as large as the Empire State Building. If it were built to it’s planned height (which is still possible), it would easily be the largest private office building on earth.

Wow! Too bad it didn’t get built. Would have been a beautiful building.

2 Likes

Holy moly, that is ginormous. That last shot is almost the exact view I had from the 73rd floor. of the ESB. This would suit the dirigible air travel revival perfectly:

4 Likes

I feel like we need to revive a number of abandoned projects and typologies in numerous fields. Namely, Art-Deco and Dirigible Travel.

1 Like

I don’t understand why this hasn’t happened yet. Cruises and super luxury yachts exist, why wouldn’t rich people want that for the skies? (also me goes into a talk with myself about why this still hasn’t happened, lol)

Maybe it’s to do with the engineering to make one of these work. I’d imagine the gases are probably super expensive, the metals are probably exotic (like carbon fibers weaves or something) and by extension expensive.
Also private jets are competing in this arena, and they already have the mature business lead so it would be incredibly hard to set up in the best of times.

2 Likes

According to the vid* Luxury travel IS the target audience (for now) as well as large cargo transport.
The Flying Whales is 200m in length / 50m height. Not sure how big the Flying Buttocks are (perhaps they’re using methane instead of helium)

Pros and Cons:

• Zeppelins require significant number of ground crew
  • Are not limited to airports
  • Can access remote areas where ground surface infrastructure is constrained
  • Load exchange is a problem bc free lift is always there
  • Sail effect due to wind is a problem so travel is limited to periods of stable weather conditions

Apparently Sergey Brin is working on a prototype.

2 Likes

I wonder if the foundation was built for the original proposed height. That would be the X factor.

This seems like a no brainer for developers.

Yes, it was. The foundation alone is massive

We’re they already building for that height and then just all of sudden stopped and chopped it in half because of the great depression?

1 Like

From the wiki

" The North Building was built in three stages on the site of the second Madison Square Presbyterian Church. Construction started in 1929, just before the onset of the Great Depression. Originally planned to be 100 stories, the North Building was never completed as originally planned due to funding problems following the Depression. The current design was constructed in three stages through 1950. As part of the Metropolitan Life Home Office Complex , the North Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 19, 1996.[1]"

Yup. That’s exactly what happened. They then reduced the size of the core was reduced a while back to trade some elevators for internal space, but if they rebuilt the original core, they would of course be able to build up to the original planned height.

1 Like

I’d like to remind everyone that this building has 2.2 million sqft, at only 451 ft.
That’s about the same as the 1,575 ft 175 Park Ave project

Unless ofc that sqft number is for the full proposed building. I did pull it from wikipedia.

Still massive

1 Like

Exactly 1,500 feet and 100 stories. Just updated the main project description.

1 Like

I meant the current size of the 30 story base, not the full proposed project.

I know. The current size is 2.2 million square feet. Looking at the upper floors, it looks like all of those would be significantly thinner the higher you go up. It would be at the same general ratio to the ESB square footage wise as the Sears Tower is to John Hancock center.

Ah okay.

Yeah but still, look at the building right next to it thats getting a tower built on top of it.

If this is a commercial space, given the current state of commercial space, I would green light this project and make those additional floor residential. Sort of like what they did with the Woolworth by making the thing mixed use.

IDK I agree with you. This project seems like its already halfway there.

1 Like

It would ring out to a total of 3,595,636 square feet to be exact.

3 Likes

Yeah thats freaking massive. Only 500k off Shanghai Tower. Though still considerably behind the Burj. And I don’t even wanna look at Tokyos biggest lots

1 Like

Basically build those floors to commercial code and form because you always need that on standby for this kind of tower, but make them residential in purpose.

1 Like