JERSEY CITY | West Side Development News

100 Water Street.

This one is under construction (phase 1). Probably the largest overall site under construction in JC right now. .

Today

4 Likes

I’ve noticed that too! Thanks for the update/photo. This thing is really huge, can’t wait to see some renders.

A smaller, 60 unit building at 74 Pollock, on the other end of the block has also started with some digging/ machinery.

NJCU’s West Campus has really helped spark all this new construction. I think the leasing at Rivet is strong enough so developers are finally putting shovels to the ground on their lots.

3 Likes

Renderings Revealed, Ground Broken at 100 Water Street in Jersey City

Here we go, renderings!

This will go well with 100 Bennet right next door. It’s not amazing, but its better than the industrial no man’s land it was. I do wish there were some affordable housing units mixed in with the retail and market rate units. Looks good though! Piling work is ongoing last I saw

3 Likes

Rivet 2 had its groundbreaking ceremony today. It’s the building to the right in the image below

Fulop also had an update to Bayfront:

Fulop, in fact, already was looking forward to future groundbreakings, including ones for Bayfront, the transformative 100-acre project one block over that is gearing up to start.

“If you think about what this place is going to look like five years from now, it’s going to be entirely different,” he said. “The RFP for the first four buildings of Bayfront should go out later this month.”

3 Likes

100 Water Street update from a week ago. Phase 1 is already a floor or two above ground and they seem to continue to put in pilings on the opposite side of the property.

3 Likes

400 Claremont update. Still doing preliminary construction but pilings are starting to go on. Hard to get photos because the site is so huge!

3 Likes

74 Pollack Update: piling is ongoing
Developer Applies to Bring 60 Units to Jersey City’s West Side | Jersey Digs 60 unit building.

3 Likes

NJCU West Campus update: they have started demolition of a former factory/warehouse that will house another rental building and separate student dorm building. They started demolition at night since it’s not busy. Couldn’t get closer because the street in front is completely blocked off.

3 Likes

Hudson County officials and representatives from Landmark Developers unveiled renderings of the 25,000-square-foot building that will rise in place of the banquet hall during a public meeting Wednesday night.
The Hudson County Improvement Authority then tapped Frank and Jeanne Cretella — owners of Landmark — as developers of the new project. Landmark will have a 30-year lease on the property.

“We wanted to create a building that is world class,” Frank Cretella said Wednesday. “I feel like this is something the West Side doesn’t have.”

The new three-story venue will be built in the footprint of the existing facility, which could be demolished as soon as February or March. The building will include two banquet halls, an open kitchen restaurant, and a rooftop bar and dining area. The plan also calls for the addition of 80 new parking spaces.

Stone from the existing building will also be incorporated into the new venue’s chimney and fireplaces.

Hudson County Executive Tom DeGise and the HCIA’s CEO Norman Guerra say construction should start in March or April and conclude as early at spring 2021.

1 Like

100 Water Street update

5 Likes

This is great news for the area/ Bayfront! It should increase the potential to give more incentives for developers to invest in the area and Bayfront. My one concern is whether this was timed to coincide with the light rail closures for utility work. Shuttle buses for the foreseeable future it seems

Interestingly enough is that a sprawling 1 story warehouse/ office building in the highlighted red area was just demolished recently as well. I’ll try and get photos when I can.

4 Likes

74 Pollack - site was quiet this morning. The area behind the trees and where the new building’s lot line walls are located is the right of way for the future light rail extension to Bayfront. Used to be a giant building there that’s been leveled.

400 Claremont was in full swing, with workers installing more floors and windows are going in too.

West Side Light Rail station is still closed but the 3 other stations in the branch are due to reopen soon as per NJTransit:

April 15, 2020

UPDATE: Garfield & MLK Stations Will Open for Light-Rail Service . Shuttle Buses Will Continue Serving West Side Avenue Station
Beginning Saturday, April 25, NJ TRANSIT’s Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will resume partial service on the West Side Avenue (WSA) Branch at Garfield and Martin Luther King (MLK) stations.

Shuttle buses will continue to provide service to West Side Avenue Station while NJ TRANSIT completes early-action work on the Rt. 440 extension project following earlier utility work by the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority.

100 Water Street as of this past March

7 Likes

Bit of a distant group of shots here, but I believe you can see 74 Pollack, 400 Claremont, and one or more of the NJCU buildings (Rivet 2 or City Line West). Not sure if 100 Water is visible in the shots

11 Likes

https://innovatejc.org/in-wake-of-pandemic-jersey-city-moving-forward-with-jersey-city-largest-mixed-income-housing-development-in-tri-state-region/

Bayfront-rendering-e1591106837682

Mayor Steven M. Fulop, the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency (JCRA), and the Department of Housing, Economic Development and Commerce (HEDC) announce an agreement for construction of the first phase of Bayfront, the largest mixed-income development site in the region.

The city acquired the 100-acre Bayfront property from Honeywell Corporation in 2016 for $100 million with the city stating at the time a reason for the acquisition is to meet the goal of increasing the on-site affordable housing requirements from 5%, that was previously stipulated in the redevelopment plan, to a new goal of 35% with the city controlling the property.

Phase one consists of the development of four parcels within the area upon which a total of 1,092 units will be built in multi-family residential buildings, 35% of which is affordable and workforce housing.

The Bayfront Redevelopment Plan will transform the once contaminated site along the Hackensack Riverfront into the centerpiece of the West Side revitalization. The plan is designed to maximize the economic benefits to Jersey City and its taxpayers while prioritizing affordable housing, localized hiring opportunities during and after construction, and sustainable “green” development.

At the next Jersey City Redevelopment Agency meeting, the city will formally designate two nationally recognized leading affordable housing developers, Bayfront Development Partners, LLC, a joint venture of Pennrose, LLC, and Omni America, LLC (“Pennrose/Omni”) and BRP Development Group (“BRP”) to implement phase one the Bayfront Redevelopment Plan pursuant to their competitive RFP responses to the city.

5 Likes

NJ.com had another rendering I haven’t seen yet, so posting it here.

7 Likes

The scale of this relative to its neighbors is huge.

10 Likes

There’s already machinery for Phase 1.2 so it’s definitely under construction. You can kinda see the top of the crane in the last photo. @apophenic

10 Likes

NJCU West Campus Update

7 Likes

Finally biked over here
400 Claremont

100 Water

74 Pollack

18-20 Fisk St

305 West Side Ave - no change, still stuck

NJCU - lots of stuff here. This is Block 1

Foreground is the CityLine East site, I think. A little iffy on the site plan here

Block 1 and Rivet 2 in the background

Rivet 2

Bayfront site

Bayfront light rail site

Other small stuff

7 Likes

I believe the CityLine East site is going to be the Performing Arts Center/Joffrey Ballet School and the housing attached to it.

Were these photos recent? That last photo, the dirt is new, it’s been a weedy lot now for awhile. Proposed retail location there, rumored Starbucks.