JERSEY CITY | 55 Hudson St | 637 FT | 56 FLOORS

Oop, I didn’t see your other post before my post, sorry!

That’s unfortunate that the PTACs are being used instead of a central system, especially on such a flat surface of glazing where the grilles will be very visible.

1 Like

The most vapid, most soulless, most depressing, most uninspiring, design. This is giving me “modern early 2000s” glassy boxes that used to be inspirational to many. This is a crime against humanity. I wish they could veto it and have them go back to the planning board to use a more substantive design.

4 Likes

It’s good to see new tall buildings coming to JC. How many proposals are there for Jersey City proposed to stand over 400 feet?

1 Like

Quite a few these days. In fact besides some towers in Journal Square most proposals are over 400ft.

2 Likes

Strictly speaking not “most proposals” since there are a lot of 4-to-6-story buildings going up, for instance, along MLK Dr, Monticello, Communipaw, Palisade Ave, etc that don’t get threads on here or press.

But for sure if you look only at proposed buildings above 10 stories, probably most of those are over 400 feet.

There are at least 15 approved towers over 400 ft that I can think of that haven’t started construction yet. Probably quite a few I’m forgetting. I can think of another 7 proposed towers that have had renderings released above 400 ft. And there are large swaths of Liberty Harbor North, Newport, and the Harsimus Cove Station area are zoned for ~60 story buildings, not to mention part of the West Side.

5 Likes

The construction permit for this building was issued today. No guarantee, but it is extremely likely this will begin construction very soon.

7 Likes

I went past this site today and saw no work. It is rare for a permit to be issued before site prep, but it happened before at 1075 West Side Ave. Unfortunately 1075 West Side still hasn’t started construction even after more than a year. We’ll see what happens here.

10 Likes

It does happen occasionally in Jersey City - I know of several sites that have permits but haven’t really moved (although some had previously cleared their site, at least).

On the side topic of 1075 West Side Ave specifically though, I believe they just recently applied or received a permit (in the past few days) to demo the warehouse.

The only other one I can think of besides 1075 West Side Ave is 285 Newark, but that project had site prep done, including fixing the siding of the next door building and excavation. 160 Brunswick got its permit at the same time as it’s sister building to the south, but didn’t start construction until the other building was done. Any other examples?

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure if these sites actually received their permits or just applied, but there was also 285 Newark (which at least cleared the site), 387 8th St, 306 Johnston Ave (which actually started piling, although they had permits pulled for the past year or more), 87 Van Horne (few years now), and a few others that I’m too lazy to find right now. This would definitely be the biggest though.

Good call on 387 8th St and 87 Van Horne. With both, I think pulling permits was a Hail Mary attempt to stick to timelines that were part of their redeveloper agreements with the JCRA.

Photos by Kurt Raschke. A pile driver and the first foundation pile driven. The cars belonged to workers and were gone at the end of the day.

11 Likes

Video on Reddit showing the piling:

https://www.reddit.com/r/jerseycity/comments/15st0lj/first_piling_at_50_hudson/

7 Likes

Three different types of pile drivers onsite, including a helical pile driver. And at least two different types of piles (hollow pipe and I-beam).

I’m not an engineer, so I don’t know the meaning of all this, except the complaints in that reddit thread may have been premature if they end up using the helical pile driver as the primary pile driver (helical pile drivers are quieter than impact pile drivers).

This is definitely under construction in full swing though.

15 Likes

It looks like they’re still testing though. I wonder if they are testing the different types of piles (presumably). I’m not sure I’ve seen a helical pile driver used for any large construction here - any examples?

Construction to Start on 1,000-Unit Development Along Jersey City Waterfront

By Chris Fry. October 12, 2023

One of the largest redevelopment projects along the Hudson River in Jersey City will kick off next week as two real estate giants will begin work on a 58-story tower. An itinerary sent to local property owners from the companies reveals that site prep work is slated to begin in earnest October 16, with excavation of the existing parking lot set to commence two days later.

The first phase will rise 637 feet at its tallest point and sport a six-story podium base. The initial portion consists of 1,017 dwelling units, breaking down as 298 studios, 514 one-bedrooms, 203 two-bedrooms, and two three-bedroom spaces.

A total of 62,749 square feet of retail will face the Hudson Street side of the building under the plan, which includes one large double-height storefront space.

A new parking garage with 378 parking spaces that includes 539 bicycle spots will be built under the 55 Hudson Street section, which includes a seventh-floor amenity deck with an outdoor pool, tennis courts, a dog run, garden area, and grilling sections.

The second phase of the development at 50 Hudson Street will eventually rise across the way at an underground parking facility. That component will reuse the existing 467-space garage while adding a 42-story tower with a two-story podium that tops out at 476 feet.

7 Likes

They are using helical pile drivers at the 27-story 576-unit 632 Newark Ave project.

1 Like

Very interesting. The helical driver is still on the 55 Hudson site (as well as the other one), so I guess it’s still possible they’ll use it.

1 Like

So after a few months of almost no visible progress, on December 5 they announced that they got a $300M construction loan and will begin construction in earnest this month.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0elwiDpCiH/?hl=en

Tishman Speyer has secured a $300 million construction loan from Otera Capital for the development of 55 Hudson St., a 58-story tower with over 1,000 rental units on the Jersey City waterfront. Construction is set to begin this month, aiming for completion in early 2027, with plans for an additional tower, 50 Hudson, to follow, totaling nearly 2,000 apartments, over 70,000 square feet of retail, and a 32,000-square-foot waterfront plaza.

6 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-18/goldman-sachs-sells-jersey-city-waterfront-lot-to-tishman-speyer

(Paywall Bypass)

4 Likes