Discussion | Destroyed Buildings and Historical Buildings

Oh no way. This happened today? Dam R.I.P.

I’m interested in the view from the observatory from the old twin towers when they are still standing.

3 Likes

https://ds1.cityrealty.com/img/4c5b765fc84ad88bc759932b735a54a91f7fa1a3+736++0+60

The Osborne was built in 1883 as one of New York’s first major luxury apartment buildings.

4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKcsGmchGOz/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5u1V1QnMJM/
Singer Building

6 Likes

7359d2c59c29da206ec755174f5ceef4

One Meridian Plaza Philadelphia

7 Likes

The old Tombs in New York

second Tombs completed 1902

8 Likes

Thanks for the pics. I have never seen pictures of the Egyptian Revival Tombs. It was a beautiful building…especially for a prison.

1 Like

To make a proper urban baseline for the next generation of New Yorkers, the city needs a renaissance of large, masonry buildings that can be used for residential purposes. Looking to the past, through these two lists, of which some items are duplicates, getting some more masonry through the means of retreading some of these blueprints 1:1 could be an attractive option. Hotel blueprints provide residentially-minded space without too much hassle, and if implemented correctly, could translate well in lower-rise sections of the city that are currently averse to glass towers, like a good segment of Chelsea, Hell’s Kitchen, and definitely the Lower East Side. Basically any place in Manhattan where there are a ton of brownstone blocks with walkups thrown in there.
https://www.geographicguide.com/united-states/nyc/antique/hotels/images.htm

3 Likes

The two and the old Post Building were demolished in 1929 for the City Bank Farmers Trust Company Building.

The Coffee Exchange(1895) was the neighbor of the old Cotton Exchange (1885).

Rendering from the National Shoe and Leather Bank Building 1893.

6 Likes

Windsor Hotel/ New York destroyed by fire 1899

4 Likes

From Angelo Rizzuto - Sept 1952. Singer Building’s rooftop gargoyles and railing are being demolished and replaced

7 Likes

We definitely would have a lot more supertalls in the world. Keep in mind that there were nearly a dozen towers cancelled in response to 9/11. If the twins were never destroyed and assuming that the buildings proposed to be built that were cancelled after 9/11 were actually built, NYC would have about 3 extra supertalls including a building taller than 1WTC, the New York Stock Exchange Tower. This hypothetical is quite frankly one of the most interesting hypotheticals out there due to how one National tragedy is the sole proprietor of how skyscrapers are built today. ignoring the political effects of the Twin Towers not collapsing, if the Twin Towers didn’t collapse NYC would probably have no fear of building higher and higher along with an ambitious world, more specifically China. If 9/11 never happened we probably would already have a 4,000 foot tower already

1 Like

Wow! Interesting observation. I’ve heard that despite 9/11, high-rise and skyscraper developments were accelerating.

Also, I’ve heard that there is an unwritten rule that no skyscraper in NYC can’t go higher than One WTC, but thankfully that has not been enforced.

But yeah, it’ll be interesting how NYC will look like in current times had the Twin Towers were still standing

1 Like

Newspaper photo of the downtown Federal Office Building shortly before opening

11 Likes

A small list of hotels whose blueprints could be used to build new buildings in more traditional, lower-rise areas of the city, compiled from the two lists I shared earlier on in this thread. I removed duplicates and generally consolidated the list to a more comprehensive version of both lists.

• Adelphi Hotel
  • The Ansonia
  • Astor House
  • Barbizon-Plaza Hotel
  • Belmont Hotel
  • Bolkenhayn Apartments
  • City Hotel
  • Dauphin Hotel
  • Drake Hotel
  • Endicott Hotel
  • Fifth Avenue Hotel
  • George Washington Hotel
  • Gilsey House
  • Gotham Hotel
  • Grand Hotel
  • Grand Central Hotel
  • Grand Union Hotel
  • Hampshire House
  • Holland House
  • Holt’s Hotel
  • Hotel Astor
  • Hotel Bristol, 5th Avenue
  • Hotel Chelsea
  • Hotel Commodore
  • Hotel Kenmore Hall
  • Hotel McAlpin
  • Hotel Majestic
  • Hotel Manhattan
  • Hotel Marguery
  • Hotel Marie Antoinette
  • Hotel Martinique
  • Hotel Metropole
  • Hotel Netherland
  • Hotel Pennsylvania
  • Hotel Pierrepont
  • Hotel Savoy
  • Hotel St. Moritz
  • Hotel Theresa
  • Hotel Vendome
  • Hotel Wellington
  • Hotel Windsor
  • Knickerbocker Hotel
  • Murray Hill Hotel
  • Marriott World Trade Center Hotel
  • Metropolitan Hotel
  • Mayfair Regent Hotel (New York City)
  • New England Hotel on Broadway
  • New York Biltmore Hotel
  • Pabst Hotel
  • Park Avenue Hotel
  • Plaza Hotel
  • Ritz-Carlton Hotel
  • The Roosevelt Hotel
  • St. Denis Hotel
  • St. Moritz Hotel
  • St. Regis Hotel
  • Savoy Plaza Hotel
  • Shelton Hotel
  • Sherry-Netherland
  • Sinclair House
  • Stanhope Hotel
  • Universal Hotel
  • Vanderbilt Hotel
  • Weylin Hotel
  • Waldorf-Astoria Hotel
  • Windsor Hotel
  • 995 Fifth Avenue
2 Likes

Park Avenue as it appeared until 1927, when its malls were narrowed to expand car traffic and remove pedestrian access. (Department of Transportation)

4 Likes

The 217-foot Tatham Tower at 82 Beekman Street, seen in 1905

Under demolition in 1907

(Forest & Stream)

1966, Danny Lyon’s picture of 82 Beekman Street’s front side, almost 60 years after the tower’s demise

4 Likes

Old Snyder & Black advertisement + rendering of the Black Building at 200 William Street

Seen on the 1955 landbook (available on Etsy) the building survived the initial bridge improvement plans, but was demolished in 1961, along with half of the block immediately to the south, to make way for the widening of Frankfort Street and another bridge entrance ramp.

6 Likes

I did some searching and found out that the northeast turret on the Woolworth Building was a chimney that ran practically the entire height of the building. I always wondered why that tower turned black and decayed worse than the rest and why the pinnacle of the turret was hollow.

Idk how I was this slow

11 Likes