TORONTO | 1200 Bay Street | 1062 FT | 87 FLOORS

Renderings show the slender design would comprise timber roller shades and an outer layer of open-jointed glass. Units would have interior glazing with floor-to-ceiling operable windows, and the shutters would regulate daylight and heat.

Its structural core is intended to be on the western facade to maximise the usable area of the floorplate. This would also provide privacy from adjacent developments to the west.

Herzog & de Meuron and local studio Quadrangle were enlisted by Dutch management companies Kroonenberg Groep and ProWinko to design the mixed-use tower to replace a 16-storey commercial building from the 1960s that has offices and retail spaces.

The first 16 floors of 1200 Bay Street would comprise retail and office functions, and a level with private amenities would separate these from the residences above.

It would include 332 condominium units, ranging one-bedrooms to multi-storey penthouses, that would be spread over 64 floors.

On the top three floors, there would be a restaurant and lounge, and a triple-height lobby for tenants will be located on Bloor Street.

8 Likes

Wow. Toronto’s tallest building will be outside of downtown Toronto.

1 Like

Nice height and size, but I guess they never heard of the glass box argument

1 Like

I’m assuming this tower’s core wall will rise on the rear-facing side?

1 Like

Whoa! Exciting news, although to be honest it doesn’t shock me that Canada’s tallest would rise in Yorkville. I spent a ton of time staying in this exact area over the past three years for work (our hotel is the little red one with the two domes in the foreground of that rendering). The neighborhood is ridiculously hot, an absolute sea of construction.

2 Likes

This proposal is near to the Foster tower that’s also slated to be the tallest building, so definitely a hot spot! Another glass tower but there’s a lot of small details that really makes it great. The metal mullions break up the glass so there’s depth to it.

Its structural core is intended to be on the western facade to maximise the usable area of the floorplate. This would also provide privacy from adjacent developments to the west.

Safe to assume that, yes. Probably why there’s no render from that angle lol @Skyalign

1 Like

I definitely should of read the article instead of just looking at the photos :sweat_smile:

2 Likes