Top of new W hotel

Am I the only one who thinks that the top of the new W hotel looks to be unfinished? The glass cladding at that level is uneven as it merges into a tar-paper-like finish? Who could approve such a confusing design?

The top of the tower was inspired by the cliffs along the Schuylkill River, the glass and floor plates are intentionally jagged at the top along with the nighttime lighting. Where the blue glass and grey metal meets is also intentionally wavy to represent the waves of the Schuylkill River

Thank you. What you detail is perhaps the intention of the design team. The real question is, does the attempt to tie the design to the river work? I think not. It looks unfinished and the top looks like tar paper. I saw a notice in mid-May that said the hotel would open in June and that all was complete, save for a few “glass panels at the top.” Apparently I’m not the only one who thinks there is work to be done.

Thank you. What you detail is perhaps the intention of the design team. The real question is, does the attempt to tie the design to the river work? I think not. It looks unfinished and the top looks like tar paper. Sometimes intent is unrealized. I saw a notice in mid-May that said the hotel would open in June and that all was complete save a few glass panels at the top. Apparently I am not the only one who is waiting for the finish.

1 Like

BTW, what cliffs? What waves? Looks like you agree with me. The apex of the design makes no sense.

1 Like

The red lime at the top shows the wavy part

1 Like

I walk by there every day. It still looks like tar paper waiting to be covered.

1 Like

It’s metal and intentional, it shows up in the renderings as well

Here’s some looks at my 3d model to show the jagged shape
ezgif-3-2ae63e99b9a4
ezgif-3-01368f76e89d

Thanks. I understand intentionality. But the execution failed. It looks like unfinished tar paper. The uneven glass cladding and vertical lights contribute to the problem, especially during daylight. It just doesn’t work.

2 Likes

If that’s what you think. I think the south face of the tower is amazing and something drastically different from every skyscraper in Philadelphia. I love it