San Francisco | Transamerica Pyramid | 853 FT | 48 FL |

2 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-05-17/san-francisco-transamerica-pyramid-is-being-remade-in-bet-remote-work-will-fade

2 Likes

Such a magical building -

I agree. I love SF, but it’s in a race to the bottom with Chicago.

1 Like

San Diego coming up from behind -

1 Like

Can anyone with access confirm if there are new renderings from this story? Regarding the feature image, we shared that rendering back in March of last year.

2 Likes

Try this

1 Like

made it work, thank you! From that the only rendering I haven’t seen before is of a board room.

2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

https://www.sfchronicle.com/realestate/article/transamerica-pyramid-shadow-sf-18550477.php

Shvo, the Manhattan luxury development firm led by Michael Shvo, has been seeking permission to tear down a commercial building that sits at the foot of the 48-story pyramid at 505 Washington St., renovate an adjacent nine-story historic building at 545 Sansome St. and expand the latter by six floors. The result would be a single building designed by renowned architect Foster + Partners that would add 50,000 square feet of new office space and rise 217 feet in height.

The remake of 545 Sansome ushers in the second phase of Shvo’s planned multimillion-dollar investment in the Transamerica Pyramid block, which the company bought with the help of investors for a whopping $650 million in the early months of the pandemic in 2020.

But there was a caveat: San Francisco’s 1984 Sunlight Ordinance, or Proposition K, mandates additional review of new structures that rise higher than 40 feet and could result in new shadows cast on properties under the jurisdiction of the Recreation and Park Department.

According to the city’s Planning Department, the proposed construction at 545 Sansome would raise the so-called shadow load that’s already cast on Maritime Plaza — a public plaza that sits above street level on a parking structure between Battery, Davis, Clay and Washington streets — by a hair, from 67.88% today to 67.91%, if built.

.Renderings here:

old plan:

source: Tense Development Toward 545 Sansome Street Expansion, Financial District, San Francisco - San Francisco YIMBY

new plan:

6 Likes

I guess people are betting long term that SF will eventually come back.

Columbus Avenue looking towards downtown

The Transamerica Pyramid in downtown San Francisco.Credit…Jim Wilson/The New York Times

4 Likes