PHILADELPHIA | Penn’s Landing Redevelopment | 10 Towers | 175-703 FT

For a long time coming, the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation has dreamed of having Penn’s Landing redeveloped and having its potential fully realized. Recently, these dreams of been getting closer and closer to reality. A planned two block cap over. I-95 will reunite Old City to the Delaware River. Perhaps more exciting, though, is the planned mixed-use neighborhood that could be built on the waterfront. Many developers are competing for the rights to build this mega project, each with different designs. Among top competitors is NYC’s Durst, Hoffman and Associates our of DC, and Josh Harris from the Philadelphia 76ers. Below are some articles about developers’ different plans for the site:

The 76ers proposal is by far the most controversial. In addition to a mixed-use neighborhood, Harris also plans on building a new arena on the most prime spot in the redevelopment area. Many are worried about where parking will go, and how it is less accessible to get to than the practical sports complex in south Philly. I my personal opinion, I would not be happy seeing the arena get built.

The Penn’s Landing Development is of such large scale that it would rival that of Schuylkill Yards and 30th Street Station District on Philadelphia’s other riverfront.

5 Likes

Here are some reason renderings of Hoffman’s plan for the site:

This iteration of the proposals would be a great one to see, so much density, and a lot of skyscrapers that will really help the skyline stretch from river to river.

And here’s a rendering of what a potential arena could look like:

8 Likes

The article mentions some of the developers competing for development rights.

2 Likes

I saw on an article they’re looking at the 12 acre site located at 700 Packer Avenue

1 Like

The four proposals that are being reviewed today. One of these will win and I hope that whatever does starts construction quickly.

3 Likes

And I’m a little late to the news, but Durst won! Below are some renderings a picture of a WHYY Article, it’s going to be really transformative, the Schuylkill Yards of the Delaware River!

We also now know that the height for the tallest tower will be 703 Feet! The range will be from 175-703 Feet for the major towers:

5 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t think these towers are going to fully start until 2022, but good to see this happening. The park will begin construction soon, then the buildings. Also, we might get some more updated renderings of the project in the next few months, and should give a look as to what the project will actually look like

2 Likes

Rendering of the proposed building. Image: Handel Architects/The Durst Organization.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2021/04/12/proposed-360-unit-waterfront-development-among.html

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, this is actually north of the Ben Franklin
bridge and isn’t officially a part of the redevelopment. If there isn’t already one, 300 North Columbus could be its own thread

1 Like

There was the talk this week about National Real Estate (currently developing Market East) acquiring property in the dead zone on 2nd street between Old City and Northern Liberties with early planning for a major redevelopment. Why comment about it on this thread? Because this is a meaningful net positive for the riverfront in general and Penn’s Landing in particular. By improving the surrounding areas, the value of the Penn’s Landing property increases and the momentum for redevelopment here grows. This is a big deal.

3 Likes

It would be so great for connecting Northern Liberties to Old City to the riverfront (with this development). Once this connection has been made, even more development will take place in the current dead zone, which will be amazing to see

This article says that the first phase of the development will have a 14-story tower at the southwestern corner of 2nd and Spring Garden, plus another 23-story tower farther south on 2nd Street, so that project will get its own thread now.

2 Likes

Wow. This project is massive! This along with the west development would change the city forever.

3 Likes
1 Like

Don’t even get me started on how much this angers me…I just hope Durst can get their act together and start on the residential/mixed-use portion before this.

5 Likes
2 Likes