NYC Underground

(The ‘baseless’ comment was in reference to sitting down)

That’s all good, you took it a bit too personal imo so I’m done. Cheers!

1 Like

It’s just a token booth in Staten Island getting a cosmetic refresh.

All current redesign booth locations are available here.

3 Likes

Not involved much with the height issue - I’m quite short - but a difference to our seated tall friend might have more to do with torso height than overall height. I have a 6-foot friend who has to pick cars carefully because most of his height is in his torso and he needs more head room.

2 Likes

What do you think of these new turnstile designs to combat fare evasion? It seems two people can come through one right after the other? I think these bad boys have graced the MBTA in Boston for at least two decades.

Fare Evasion Final Report by Metropolitan Transportation Authority, on Flickr

5 Likes

I think the gates look nice and really enjoy the LEDs as well, but I’m worried that it’s possible to beat the fare by squeezing behind someone before the gates close.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Restoring the Gimbels passageway will be awesome!

Closer on the horizon, the final subway entrance at the WTC should be opening alongside the Performing Arts Center next month, if not earlier.

3 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/transportation/mta-may-retrofit-subway-emergency-doors-curb-opportunistic-fare-evasion

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/transportation/mta-moves-replace-turnstiles-new-york-city-subway-fare-evasion-fight

Article is paywalled. Bypass it using an archived version here.

1 Like

Asbestos from below ground?

They are dealing with it as best as they can.

1 Like

The rain is helping to wash anything away.

Twenty-four injuries from this minor incident?

Yeah, right!

“Ow, my back!”

Imgur

3 Likes

This is ineffective, looks like crap and probably cost a fortune to install.

2 Likes

Yes. They are silly. In many of the Paris metro stations the have clear, thick, plastic barriers that open and close in sync with train doors. They are not ugly and actually are preventive of injuries.

8 Likes

The MTA actually announced they were going to install doors like those as a pilot in 3 stations a while back, but I’ll believe it when I actually see tangible progress being made other than a press release.

As for the barriers they are installing, they definitely look like crap. They could of at least gone with black or stainless steel which matches the aesthetic better and really won’t do much other than create crowding at the openings between the barriers when a train is discharging passengers.

1 Like