NEW YORK | Various News About Our City and Q&A

Love theatre in NYC!

Thanks for joining. :slight_smile:

Hey guys, I’m looking at hotels for New York for when I come later this year, what do you guys recommend for the area which this hotel is situated? I understand that it’s in Queens, but a short walk to the subway and across the river and I’ll be in Manhattan!

Having a look and open for options, but those prices are good.

Donald Trump protest occuring. Just now.

3 Likes

That area looks good. It is quiet but a safe area and only a few blocks walk to the subway and you are basically in the heart of the lic construcion boom a few blocks away. If you like beer you are a few blocks from lic beer project brewing co.

They took down the toll plaza at the midtown tunnel!

I assume they will go to an automated billing thing like at the Henry Hudson Bridge. Eventually I guess all tolls will be like this around the city.

3 Likes

indeed. The link is in the post I replied to.

1 Like

Thanks! Somehow I missed that.

New York Secures the Most Affordable Housing Units in 27 Years

Despite the loss of a key housing program, the administration of Mayor Bill de Blasio will announce Thursday that it built or preserved 21,963 units of housing in 2016 for poor and working-class New Yorkers, the most since 1989.

The total includes 6,844 apartments in newly constructed buildings, according to data provided by city housing officials. The announcement will be made at a news conference in Brooklyn.

These apartments are earmarked for families and individuals who meet income requirements, with about 35 percent of the units set aside for three-person households making no more than $40,800.

“I want people struggling out there to know that this is still your city,” Mr. de Blasio said Wednesday. “We are fighting to keep New York a place that seniors, the middle class and families trying to make it to the middle class can actually afford.”

Although the real estate market has softened in recent months, many New Yorkers have found it difficult or impossible to find homes within their means. Mr. de Blasio, a Democrat, made affordable housing a centerpiece of his administration — even before he took office in 2014 — pledging to build or preserve 200,000 units over the next decade.

Over the past three years, the capital funding for the city’s housing agency has doubled, rising to $798 million this year, from $400 million in 2014.

But affordable housing remains a challenge, given the city’s increasing population, the demand for housing at all income levels and a wave of luxury development that has washed over nearly every neighborhood in the city. And the administration has had little success in reducing the city’s homeless population, which climbed above 60,000 people last year.

The administration has smarted from claims by advocates for low-income housing that too many apartments are being given to moderate-income New Yorkers, rather than to the truly poor, who still make up a sizable portion of the population.

In response, the de Blasio administration has increasingly sought to earmark more affordable apartments for New Yorkers with what are called very low and extremely low incomes. About one-fifth of the apartments — far above the 8 percent goal set in the city’s housing plan — built or preserved in 2016 were for those earning less than $25,000.

“This is an important and ambitious plan,” said Benjamin Dulchin, the executive director of the Association for Neighborhood and Housing Development. “It is truly impressive to see the city not just meeting, but surpassing its goals for low-income people.” But, he added, more of the apartments should be set aside for the poorest New Yorkers.

Even as the city builds more housing every year, thousands of affordable apartments exit the city’s housing programs as agreements expire — unless the city intervenes. In addition, a city program that provided developers with substantial property tax breaks for designating 20 percent of their units for low- and moderate-income renters expired last year. Attempts to revive the 421-a incentive have failed.

3 Likes

Leaked documents have revealed president Trump intends to appropriate funds to COMPLETE the 2nd Avenue Subway, construct the Gateway project, and construct the Champlain Hudson Power Express!

THE AGE OF RAMSES!

4 Likes
3 Likes

I was not sure where to add this.

Here is the Rhinelander Reef waste transfer station being built in the middle of the east river/harlem river/hellgate area.

1/28

3 Likes

They are also working to extend the walkway along the east river from e 78 up to e 81.

1/28

4 Likes

:wink:

3 Likes

The current boom is going to keep going for the foreseeable future. I expect many, many more towers to be built.

1. Very outdated office inventory
  2. Hudson Yards
  3. Brexit
  4. Donald Trump and his business-friendly policies (especially friendly towards banks)
  5. Midtown East rezoning
  6. Massive demand for rentals and condos even if the uber luxury market has cooled.

New York! America! The glory of it all!

4 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-02-03/trump-to-halt-obama-fiduciary-rule-order-review-of-dodd-frank

1 Like

Click to zoom. Animation regarding Manhattans population (home vs work) over the hours of the day. Red = work aka commuters, blue = residents.

Credit: TRD

6 Likes

I’ll be danged! The PA is getting in on it! Apparently the TZB is included as well, and it’s run by the NYS Thruway Authority, outside of the city’s jurisdiction. I think the Throgs Neck and Whitestone will visually benefit the most from this, as there aren’t any other significant landmarks in the immediate area, they can also be seen from many high points in Westchester County.

9 Likes

On February 6, 2017, NYCEDC released the Sunnyside Yard Feasibility Study, a comprehensive study evaluating the technical feasibility of decking over active rail and related facilities in Sunnyside Yard, which sits on approximately 180 acres of western Queens. The release of the study concluded a year-and-a-half-long process led by the City and a team of consultants with significant input from Amtrak and a wide range of community stakeholders, elected officials, and City agencies.

Full report here:
https://www.nycedc.com/project/sunnyside-yards

3 Likes

Nice! Istanbul has something like this it’s very cool.

1 Like