NEW YORK | Penn 15 (401 7th Ave) | 1,200 FT | 61 FLOORS

Don’t give them ideas…

1 Like

Yes, this is a good idea.

Interestingly, the latest Vornado video clip from the Fox segment shows the glass strips on the north side to be glass elevator shafts:
P15Elevators
In the earlier rendering of the north side, those sections have solid floors and seem to instead be the corridors for accessing the elevators:

The earlier design would match the floorplans on the VNO website as well as 425 Park Avenue’s layout.

Having glass elevator shafts while the access corridors are windowless seems unusual to me, but it would be a good use of that unobstructed core facade.

6 Likes

I would assume those are either feature elevators, they purposefully just put them there for show, or the plan has changed somehow to only allow 3 giant elevators with reconfiguration of the normal passenger elevators, because comparative to the size of the building, those elevatorsas depicted are bigger than freight elevators.

I personally think they put them there just for show because the configuration of having elevators like in the manner shown wastes space, as opposed to having something like at the International Towers in Sydney or even the Leadenhall Building, or generally how we understand the plan to be as you posted.

6 Likes

The problem with this site is that its clearly is ment to be commercial due to its proximity to a transit hub.

But NY has a huge demand problem for commercial real estate at the moment so I don’t see any of these plans going anywhere for 5-10 years. The 2010’s boom seems to be over. I think developers are gonna focus on residential conversions now.

4 Likes

That was something I noticed too, those elevators are more than twice the size they should be! I think you are right that the animation is just to denote that facade as being the services core.

5 Likes
3 Likes

I would not be surprised if this lot sits empty for ten years. Vornado should be forced to build a plaza on this site until they’re ready to build the tower.

Vornado’s track record at Alexander’s on Lex and 31 W 57th is abysmal.

6 Likes

Exactly what I’ve been saying for years now. It sucks because this is such a prominent location too, but Vornado just sucks when it comes to moving forward with new office developments. They’ve got multiple plots in the Penn neighborhood that they’ve done nothing with. They’ll do the same here, I believe (hope I’m very wrong of course).

3 Likes

I agree.

I’m not as worried about this particular development compared to Vornado’s other works in progress as this would be/is technically their “premier” tower and development among all their developments/properties and in that sense it shouldn’t be compared against their smaller/lesser developments. I don’t think they would just let the site sit there for such a long period of time once Hotel Pennsylvania is completely demo’ed.

Even though they are holding other plans off for 2023, Hotel Penn isn’t supposed to be finished demo’ing until the end of 23, so they could definitely have figured out what to do come 2024.

1 Like

Concuring with @TKDV here, I think compared to many of Vornado’s other properties in the PENN District, this is their crown jewel and with the expected demolition eating up most of 2023 there is still a good amount of time to figure out financing/tenants before this is simply an empty lot…as for some of their other properties, I have less faith in…

1 Like

Plus I believe they are duty bound to preserve the Gimbel’s underpass walkway to Herald Sq.

What happened to this design for the Penn redevelopment?

3 Likes

That wasn’t a real design proposal made for the city, it was made for a MAS design competition.

3 Likes

Still looks better than any of the current proposals, at least as far as the train hub.

1 Like

I can’t imagine high-end tenants lining up to pay $100/sf+ to have their HQ in this sewer. Vornado should clean this area up before it hopes to find a big fish to anchor 15 Penn.

2 Likes

Hochul watered down the right to repair bill recently, which I didn’t like, but the state is in the right to label most of the area as blighted.

Personally I’d like to see a bill whereby if a developer is able to acquire 3/4 of frontage on an avenue, remaining adjacent buildings 6 stories or lower could automatically be considered blighted.

Looks like the little building on 33rd corner is getting ready to come down.

Which one?

P.S.: While I think that this area is disgusting, I think that this new tower will be gorgeous. This is on DBox’s website.

1 Like