NEW YORK | PA Bus Terminal (Two Towers) | FT | FLOORS

Well the ACE runs along 8th Ave, so it wouldn’t have really made sense to add a 7 line stop there since it’d only be a block away from the Times Square stop, unless I’m just misunderstanding what you’re saying.

2 Likes

I think it would have been worth it to link two of the major transit centers by train.

I mean technically speaking, if the 10th Ave stop is added to the 7 line, its 40th St entrance would probably be connected to the new western half of the PABT, dont forget that the new terminals planned footprint is not restricted to the existing buildings footprint. :+1:

3 Likes

„ The new terminal design also includes infrastructure for future construction of four high-rise towers over portions of the new bus terminal that could help fund it, through sale of air rights and payments in lieu of taxes shared by the city with the authority.

Last August, the authority hired Foster + Partners and A. Epstein and Sons International, Inc., as an architectural design team, for the bus terminal which are still at work.

“We have very high aspirations,” Cotton said. “We want it to be an architectural gem, we want it to be highly functional in it’s capacity to handle buses.”

Via NYguy on SSP

4 Likes

I always assumed that 555 10th Avenue reserved some ground floor space for a future 7 subway entrance

1 Like

can you also say something about the towers?

@TheBigApple

Have some patience, amigo.

We’ll find out all the details when they do the press conference next week.

4 Likes

Looks like they’ve dropped two towers as part of the latest Draft EIS:

7 Likes

Is the storage and staging facility permanent? Or will it be torn down after construction of the terminal is finished?

2.2.2.3 Storage and Staging Facility (SSF)
The SSF would occupy the western portion of the block between Ninth Avenue and Tenth
Avenue between West 39th Street and West 40th Street (see Figure 2-3). The SSF would be
approximately 157 feet high, measured from the sidewalk to the top of Level 7, and the
mechanical bulkhead would extend to a height of approximately 177 feet. The SSF would be
integrated with the Main Terminal above West 40th Street and would connect the Main Terminal
to the ramp structure to be located on Galvin Plaza (see below). Existing private buildings
fronting on West 40th Street, West 39th Street, and Ninth Avenue located east of the existing
PABT ramps would remain.
The SSF would not be accessible to the public. However, approximately 65,700 gsf of street-
facing retail would be located along Tenth Avenue between West 39th Street and West 40th
Street, and along West 39th Street and West 40th Street between Dyer Avenue and Tenth
Avenue. Areas between West 39th Street and West 40th Street east of Dyer Avenue would be
occupied by ramp structure.
Level 2 of the SSF would be integrated with Level 2 of the Main Terminal but would not contain
passenger amenities and would not be accessible to the public.
The SSF would contain five levels for storage of up to approximately 300 to 350 buses. The eighth
level of the SSF would contain mechanical equipment. Upper levels of the facility would extend
horizontally along the West 39th Street streetwall.
Level 3 to Level 7 would serve as midday storage and staging areas for buses (see Figure 2-9 to
Figure 2-13). Bus storage is defined as midday bus parking and storage for multiple hours
between the AM and PM peak periods. Bus staging is defined as the short-term dwelling (less
than an hour; typically, 20 minutes) of buses waiting to enter the PABT whereby the bus cannot
be left unattended. With the addition of the SSF, the Replacement Facility would minimize the
number of empty bus trips through the Lincoln Tunnel, reduce on-street bus movements, and
optimize Main Terminal operations during the PM peak period. The SSF would be designed to
accommodate the incorporation of electric charging stations to allow for “opportunity”
charging for buses laying over during the midday period.

SSF looks like it’s meant to be permanently used (consolidation of all the NJ transit surface lots in the area?) after it’s intended use as an interim terminal.

3 Likes

Thank you for the information. It looks quite a massive imposition from the street level when compared to now. Praying it’s not an eyesore with only perforated steel as a lame design element (for $10 billion+ the back should be just as eye-catching as the front), but I’m not hopeful either. Let’s see

2 Likes

Reduction of office towers reflects current economic conditions.

Completion by 2040
the two towers are not coming

Two towers not 4 Towers.

They can get some ideas from SF - ( a Pelli-Clarke design)
But I keep my hopes high knowing that Foster is involved.

11 Likes

i’m afraid there will be no single one tower or they will build a foundations and then wait for tenants forever like 2 wtc or 3 hudson

4 Likes

I can’t really say anything right now because I could get in trouble, but there is a chance that the towers could be built around the same time as the main terminal. We shall see in a few years.

12 Likes

Per: NYguy SSP
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243819&page=7

6 Likes

„ The office-tower scheme is designed to provide a big chunk of the financing for the project. The PA is hoping to develop payment-in-lieu-of-taxes agreements with NYC to build two towers of commercial space, providing about $2.5B in funding.“

3 Likes

So the PA is pouring 10B and building office towers in a somewhat competitive area with bigger players rather than helping get 2wtc off the ground… private or not… :cold_face:

2 Likes

Plus it begs the question of why the PA is involved with real estate development at all.

1 Like