NEW YORK | One Vanderbilt | 1,401 FT | 67 FLOORS

This was from Sunset Park, BK.

5 Likes

such a great park @ any time of day

2 Likes

21 Likes

I was hoping for that bronze flair on the tower portion. But at least they kept a lot of it around the base. Looks awesome.

18 Likes

14 Likes

the base is the best part of this tower.

6 Likes

13 Likes

19 Likes

13 Likes

Just to know, Is the BMU at it normal height or will could it go down ? It looks a bit disturbing on this striking deconstructed crown :thinking:

3 Likes

It can go down. The smaller BMU is pretty much hidden right now.
Just because they can go down doesn’t mean anyone will bother to— these things have a way of being left out

4 Likes

That is true; the operators will see that they can save a few minutes (and a task) by not lowering it down all the way, behind the parapet wall, and out of sight.

This is one of those ‘nobody will notice’ things that goes on all over NYC - because, well, Nobody Notices. :thinking:

This is similar to the situation with those large plastic safety barriers at construction sites intended to protect the pedestrians from vehicular traffic: they are useless as protection unless filled with water to provide some mass/weight. They never get filled with water: because “nobody notices”.

I do wonder if there is actual some ‘requirement’ that the BMU is to be lowered completely after each use; if so, that rule is rarely followed. I think this is one of those things where there needs to be some complaint issued, or that BMU eye sore will remain in full sight.

So much stupidity, so much carelessness in this city; fortunately I am more amused than annoyed - for now… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I think their excuse for the BMU is that they won’t lower/lift it while a job is ongoing; of course, on larger towers cough cough Hudson yards the window washing cycle takes almost all year so the BMU is permanently sticking out like a sore thumb except for the one or two days they lower it just as a test… The new One World Trade BMUs are great because they fit well within the profile of the building and don’t need to be risen/lowered. I will point out that the people at 200 West Street are super diligent about retracting the BMU most of the time… but that’s the only building where I see this.

If you think its bad here, check out London. They have ultra-concealed BMUs (facade trapdoor like waterline square here) which they leave sticking out for weeks anyway— see pic

London scalpel; I was there for two weeks and it was out like that the whole time

5 Likes

Yeah, these BMUs are all over London.

1 Like

Thank you :smiley: hope someone attentionned will take care of the BMU. To give another example than 200 West Street, look at One 57’s BMU on Nyc Timescape instagram timelapses : it is constantly mooving over the skyline but seems to be allways retracted after use. The One Vanderbilt has the same basic up and down move. So they are also reason to be optimistic !

3 Likes

You’re right, good catch about 157. It’s so good at hiding I forgot about it

2 Likes

1 Vandy is yellow tonight if anyone is in an area to grab a pic @Skyalign @Springboss123_456 @baronson @JC_Heights @5Bfilms @nyconstructionphoto @ILNY @Tectonic

16 Likes

Neat! I think it would look really badass in red.

4 Likes

I’m around. I’ll get a pic with my phone and post it in a bit.

4 Likes

Agreed!! We will see that!

3 Likes