NEW YORK | Midtown East

That would be wonderful

1 Like

I agree. Pedestrianizing Times Sq turned out great. It’s time to give more streets back to pedestrians. Cities are for walking — not driving. Manhattan is not Manhassat or Mamaroneck. Those burbs are for driving.

5 Likes

Totally Agree with you Robert in fact, I’d go further and Say the city should Pedestrianize Broadway as well. Though I’d Argue Mamaroneck could be a bit more walkable with a couple tweaks and more development around Mamaroneck Ave.

2 Likes

I agree on all counts, Tower.

1 Like

:expressionless:

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/mhtnexpressnyc/status/855149284051832835

With Brewer’s approval and recommendations delivered, the rezoning now moves to the City Planning Commission and then on to the City Council and the mayor before its implementation.

Champagne!

1 Like

Is this ideal? How high can they towers get in the rezoning area now? Could a 1800-2000 feet to the roof become a reality?

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-manhattan-office-migrations/

1 Like

potential redevelopment site for the long term. Renovation / playing it safe for now.

https://rew-online.com/2019/07/rfr-buys-477-madison-avenue/

RFR has launched a reinvention of the building featuring an upgraded façade, new windows and storefronts, enhanced landscaped terraces with glass balcony railings, increased retail visibility, and new mechanical systems.

“477 Madison is a diamond in the rough ready to be polished,” said Aby Rosen, Co-Founder and Principal of RFR. “We look forward to seeing our repositioning plans complete and unlocking the inherent value of this ideally located asset.”

2 Likes

Hideous. That PoS should be razed.

1 Like

:eyes:

2 Likes

What other opportunity sites here are likely to get redeveloped soon? Besides the obvious ones that have already been released (175 Park, 345 Madison, etc.)

3 Likes

I hope 99 & 100 Park Ave both get replaced, along with 260 & 261 Madison ave. All of them are average at best and seemingly under-built given their proximity to Grand Central

4 Likes

They are quite small for their proximity. Their size should also help the demolition with time and cost. It’s definitely a good possibility. I do wonder how expensive the transit upgrade will be though.

Btw the Ave on the opposite side of GC, (the one that 270 Park is going up on) is getting massively redone because the train sheds underneath are getting upgrades. (It’s gonna take like 20 years though, rip.)
Is this side getting any renovations?

1 Like

Beyond the recently added pedestrian plazas at Pershing Square (near the gct viaduct) I don’t think there’s anything else planned.

Would be cool though if Park Ave South was a park all the way down to Union Square.

1 Like

My Midtown East wishlist:

237 Park is ugly and underbuilt. 245 Park is huge and hideous and needs at least a reclad, if not a full rebuild down the road. 345 and 399 Park are mediocre and don’t deserve to stand next to the glorious Seagram Building. The block containing 300 Park and 437 Madison would be a nice site for a full block tower in the future.

As for what’s actually planned? We know the Roosevelt Hotel and 250 Park are potential development sites that could support huge towers, but sadly those sites are currently home to nice prewars. There were some rumblings about the Brooks Brothers building on Madison across from 343, but again, that’s a nice prewar. During the pandemic, when the Omni Berkshire Hotel on 52nd closed, there was chatter about possible redevelopment, but the hotel has reopened. 260 Madison may be redeveloped (it’s currently for sale), but that’s just outside the Midtown East rezoned area.

3 Likes

I think the area has been moving quite slowly (tbh Corona has helped it). It was approved in 2017 and it was under discussion since at least 2013. We are in 2022 and just One Vanderbilt and 425 Park have been completed.
270 Park, 175 Park and 343 Madison Ave are the others that seem really to move forward.
What about 350 Park Ave?
Nothing proposed for 405 Park yet
And much of the huge potential sites like Pfizer, the 237 park block, Roosevelt block and many around 3rd Ave /Lexington remain untouched /without news.
It’s true it is a long process that must bring lots of expenditure, anyway if there are around 25 new potential skyscrapers, just 5 have been on the works. It should be finished around 2035-2040, there are 15 years remaining more or less yet, but 5 have already gone…

since these are on Second, i believe they are outside of the rezoned district. Some sites for potential redevelopment nonetheless.

“The buyer intends to renovate and reposition the properties with a focus on retail lease-up, positioning the investor to capitalize on the record-breaking apartment rental market and the assets’ proximity to prominent attractions as tourism stages its comeback.”

Sitting on the corner of Second Avenue and East 51st Street, 959-961 Second Avenue is a four-story residential building with 10 apartments and two commercial units, according to JLL. Five blocks south, 246 East 46th Street is a six-story elevator building with 81 apartments — 56 studios, five one-bedrooms, 19 two-bedrooms, and a single duplex — and 12 commercial spaces.

2 Likes