NEW YORK | Liberty Park (WTC)

Wrapping is off dome:

From WTC Earthcam.

9 Likes

Crane on site today

5 Likes

Nice! Can’t wait to see that marble rise. And the banner says it’s opening next year, let’s hope that’s true

2 Likes

This is like the Basílica de la Sagrada Família in Barcelona. Generations will come and go without it being completed. Same with 2wtc

6 Likes

“ Construction will resume Monday on the new St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in Lower Manhattan, filling a gaping hole left when the original house of worship was destroyed in the 9/11 terror attacks.”

“ It will begin once again on Monday when a crane lowers the first skylight into the church’s dome, in a ceremony presided over by Cuomo and Archbishop Elpidophoros, the leader of the Greek Orthodox Church in America.”

Another photo of the crane from this site

8 Likes

Awesome…let’s get this thing done already! This big block of concrete is such an eyesore in its current state.

Once the marble is on this will be quite a nice addition to the area.

3 Likes

Let’s get this site done already!

4 Likes

Cladding ready for Monday’s ceremony

10 Likes

TGIH. Thank God It’s Happening

1 Like

Oh my lanta! :open_mouth:

It’s actually happening!

2 Likes

Nice photos and article from the Associated Press today. (I don’t know how to move the article over to this thread).

1 Like
3 Likes

Thanks TK2000

2 Likes

They are making quite good progress with translucent panels. From WTC EarthCam.

9 Likes

This is a cute little church but I kind of wish it were more of a cathedral. Unfortunately with a calatrava design this is about as big a church as anyone could afford (especially with the embezzlement and all)

7 Likes

What is that beautiful Art Deco gem in the back ground?

1 Like

Good eye. I was also curious…looks like gorgeous residential space that was converted from old offices.

Google images link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=75+west+street+nyc&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwj-nt28r4frAhVSMd8KHSjrDTMQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=75+west+street&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgCMgIIADIGCAAQCBAeMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYMgQIABAYOgUIABCxAzoICAAQsQMQgwE6BAgAEEM6BAgAEB5Q0yNYpjdgmk9oAXAAeACAAcwBiAH6E5IBBjAuMTMuMpgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=0WEsX77yH9Li_Aao1reYAw&bih=754&biw=1536&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS852US852

1 Like

Thanks GentriVacation

1 Like

what it looks like on the inside

Governor Cuomo Announces Start of Construction on St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church and National Shrine in New York City by governorandrewcuomo, on Flickr

Governor Cuomo Announces Start of Construction on St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church and National Shrine in New York City by governorandrewcuomo, on Flickr

14 Likes

Photos from July 30.
Source: St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church and National Shrine Now on Solid Ground as Construction Restarts  - Hellenic News of America

11 Likes