NEW YORK | Liberty Park (WTC)

6 Likes

"We could also assist with redesign of the project to make it financially feasible,”

those dreaded words,
everything about WTC is such a clusterfuck,

7 Likes

I highly doubt this but here ya go…

6 Likes

It’s not That implausible. PA will probably fill the remaining sum just to get rid of the eyesore. All they need to do at this point is to pay for the stone cladding

1 Like

You would think it’s not that implausible but given the history of the site especially with this church…I have little to no faith with this project at this point.

I hope I’m wrong. I’d love to see this finally done. It’s just an eyesore at this point.

1 Like

“ Two years after a lack of funds halted construction of a marble-clad Greek Orthodox church at New York’s World Trade Center site, Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Greek Orthodox officials announced plans Thursday to resume construction with the goal of finishing the rebuilding by the 20th anniversary of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.”

“ Kariotsos said archdiocesan officials expect construction to resume by early March.

“We have a full understanding of the cost and we have a construction manager named,” he said. “We‘re going to be very transparent and accountable.”

“ Elpidophoros and Cuomo, a Democrat, said an independent 13-member board called Friends of St. Nicholas will lead the fundraising effort to complete construction. The board will be chaired by Greek-American businessman Dennis Mehiel, former chairman of New York’s Battery Park City Authority.”

6 Likes

Finally closer to getting this site done

1 Like

Now that the government big wigs are involved, hopefully this means this will actually happen

2 Likes

Completely sincere question here:

Can someone explain to me how a (mostly) complete 2 story church will take another 18 months of construction to complete? Is it a specific feature like the marble or something? With the exception of the facade, the exterior is done. The interior has some work, but it’s not much bigger than some of your average suburban McMansions.

4 Likes

Because everything at the Trade Center takes 10 years to build apparently. It’s insanity.

3 Likes

“The Minnesota company fabricating the exterior screen for the long-stalled project was paid $5.7 million and has resumed working on it, said Michael Psaros, the vice chairman of The Friends of St. Nicholas, which is trying to raise $42 million to finish the project.”

“ A nonprofit group called Faith: An Endowment for Orthodoxy and Hellenism voted last week to donate $20 million to the shrine, according to a report in The National Herald, a newspaper that covers the Greek community.

Psaros would not comment on the donation. He said George Marcus, a Greek-American real estate billionaire, kicked in $2 million.”

“ Work on the church itself should begin in March, Psaros said.”

11 Likes

“The Archdiocese has pledged to finish it by Sept. 11, 2021.”
Oooh I hope so. Now everything is under construction other than 5 and 2 WTC

7 Likes

Construction fencing has returned here.

10 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Z9gCBAWk2KoIKFLr7t16SlcK9GWeoSdCY0LA0/?igshid=1ssyo1zo3hd0q

1 Like

Account is private

1 Like

5 Likes

Any updates on this??

1 Like

Stuff is going on. But very slow. Lots of stone and mortar mix in near piles. I think they are going to finish liberty park around the church.

3 Likes

See y’all, there is work going on here…

8 Likes

I never doubted it, I just wanted to see progress. With all of the delays at the Trade Center progress is great to see

1 Like