NEW YORK | JFK Airport Renovation/Upgrades

JFK airport is a hot mess…these renovations can’t happen soon enough. Winter is here and the chaos will soon begin.

2 Likes

10 Likes
6 Likes

There’s a Halal Guys in there. I remember when I used to live in Newark, I would make a trip with friends to go to their cart on 53rd and 6th. And now they’re national. Crazy.

1 Like

10 Likes

13 Likes

Great pics 5B!

nice that they’ve put the terminal and plane to good use, I wish modern terminals were this unique, instead of being fairly generic city to city

1 Like

Love the pics of Connie with the control tower in the background.

2 Likes

Cheers guys. Thanks to tjr101 I found this link:Connie

1 Like

https://www.panynj.gov/port-authority/en/press-room/press-release-archives/2021-press-releases/port-authority-board-approves-revised-jfk-terminal-4-redevelopment.html

Expansion Will Unify Delta Operations, Adding New Gates and Expanded Check-In and Arrivals Areas at Terminal 4

Revised Plan Phases Construction, Reflecting Prudent Adjustments to Project Approved in February 2020 Based on Pandemic’s Severe Impact on Air Travel

Initial Construction Phase Represents 60 Percent Reduction from Original Plan

Allows for Demolition of Terminal 2, a Key Step in Advancing
Vision for a World-Class, 21st Century JFK Airport

3 Likes

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-plan-build-39-billion-new-terminal-6-jfk-international-airport-resume

Major New International Terminal Will Connect to JetBlue’s Existing Terminal 5

Port Authority and Private Partners Succeed in Finding Way to Restructure New Post-COVID Deal

Extensive Private Investment in JFK Preserved Despite Severe Impact of Pandemic on Air Travel; City’s Extension of Airport Lease Critical to Restructured Deal

Advances Governor’s JFK Vision Plan for a Unified, Modern Airport with World-Class Passenger Amenities, Expanded Taxiway and Gate Capacity, State-of-the-Art Security and Streamlined Roadway Access

Groundbreaking Anticipated in 2022; First New Gates Will Go Live in 2025

Includes 30 Percent MWBE Goal for Contracts and Financing Interests; Extensive Opportunities for Local Business and Job-Seekers Will Be Bolstered by Community Office Which Opened in 2019

8 Likes

More hotel options near JFK (as an alternative to the TWA hotel).

3 Likes

hi, does anyone know how is the process going with the new terminal one? is it ever going to break ground?

Last I heard they reduced the size of expansion developments due to the pandemic. Right now it’s only a smaller expansion of T4 for Delta, the demolition of T7 and construction of T6. Haven’t heard anything about T1. As T1 is likely biggest and most expensive it’s probably on hold right now until travel picks up to pre-pandemic levels. T1 after all is entirely for international travelers and that’s no where near 2019 levels yet.

3 Likes
2 Likes

i actually don’t like the renders, also it was suppose to be attached to T4 so it would be like a big south terminal, but its a totally separated terminal. with that kind of money they could build something majestic sort of like the beijing daxing airpor, but is poorly designed.

1 Like

Yes, this design is boring and would be laughed at in Asia or the Middle East, but construction costs are insanely expensive here. That Zaha Hadid Beijing airport you mentioned would probably cost $100 billion in NYC. Our high construction expenses aren’t uniformly a bad thing, since we actually pay our workers decent wages. Those fancy Zaha and Foster- designed airports in the Middle East and Asia are built with dirt-cheap labor.

Edit: is Grimshaw still the design architects for this project?

2 Likes

Uhh, Daxing cost 17.47 billion US dollars, in Bejing. This is New York, the most expensive place to build on the planet. There’s no way something of that scale is getting built here.

yes i know that, but im not talking about the scale (also is brand new and they had to build access and runways an everything in between) im talking about the design, it should be more daring and modern. this design is so dull, there’s nothing exiting about it.

1 Like