NEW YORK | Jasper Hunters Point (2-33 50th Avenue) | FT | 12 FLOORS

Photos by Michael Young

3 Likes

Pictures via KingContractingGroup and SkyAlign

12 Likes

Nice update. I think our very own @Skyalign may have took those for King Contracting.

I didn’t realize this building (or at least its crane) has been showing up in a lot of my 270 Park photos from the east.

2 Likes

Yes! I took all of the photos King Contracting Group NY is sharing on IG and LinkedIn, I shoot updates for them every couple of months.

5 Likes

All the pictures you took look amazing! I’ll make sure to add your name underneath each update.

1 Like

Thanks man!

6 Likes

Earlier today

Looking east down 49th Avenue from Center Boulevard

8 Likes
2 Likes

god i hope they don’t actually call it dumbo market

Now what’s wrong with calling it Dumbo Market?

Dumbo is in Brooklyn, and this is in Queens. Dumbo stands for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass… which has zero relation to Hunter’s Point, Long Island City, or Queens, or this project…

1 Like

When trying to build a brand, you don’t always change the name based on location. Now was it smart of them to go with a place-based market like your local bodega? Probably not, but it’s not a new concept.

This reminds me of a picture I took 10 years ago while attending a street festival in Manhattan. There was a vendor selling cannoli and they had this sign that made me chuckle.

Sometimes even within the city other neighborhoods or boroughs can be considered exotic/famous enough to warrant branding named after it. Now does DUMBO warrant that? Not sure, but I get it.

To support your opinion, some companies do change their name as they grow, especially nationally. The most recent local one I can think of is Chip New York City which started in Astoria. They are a cookie place that has grown to a national presence and in anticipation changed their name to just Chip City. I’m not sure it as easy to do with something called “_______ Market.”

Edit: now that I think about it Boston Market has retained their name and I guess they gave no F’s.
Anyway I don’t know why I put so much thought into this and now I’m hungry.

Edit edit: I just found this and am even more perplexed. It looks like they have been anticipating growing nationally and have a place going up in Hoboken called Urban Market - Hoboken. That… doesn’t sound as nice but I can foresee people not understanding DUMBO outside of NYC and instead thinking of the elephant or a dunce.

1 Like

oh yeah, it happens all over. honestly some of my favorite bagels in queens are sold from “brooklyn bagel” lol. just irritating to see bk neighborhood names creeping into the people’s boro!

2 Likes

Which of the five boroughs is “The People’s Borough”?

queens, the most ethnically and linguistically diverse place on earth

*edit: it’s also called the world’s borough

3 Likes