NEW YORK | Hudson Yards Rezoned District | 43M SF

7 Likes

Hudson Yards sure is bringing out the haters. It seems like every newspaper and critic is trashing it. I just want to be on record as saying I like it. This land was a dead-zone forever. The Javitz Center might as well have been in Indiana. We got a new subway extension, a cool FREE interactive object the public can climb on, 2 new tourist attractions once the obsv. deck opens, a few supertalls, and a mall. The skyline is totally bulked up too. Sorry it wouldn’t make Jane Jacobs so happy but this is basically on 34th street, so Greenwich Village this ain’t. This was a private developer and it could have been a lot worse. Best part is that there’s a lot more stuff coming. Never felt more like a YIMBY than to cheer on Hudson Yards with all the haters lamenting that the city didn’t build what they wanted.

10 Likes

The Left is waging a class war right now. Hudson Yards is viewed by the Left (the media is mostly liberal) as a symbol of wealth and excess so naturally they are going to bash it.

If they built rows of depressing commie blocks for the poor and homeless on this site, the same media would be cheering it.

3 Likes

Crown lights on:

Source

20 Likes

I thought there was an agreement to keep politics off the forum. Not one left candidate has proposed raising taxes on anyone making less than $10M a year. Do you make that much GBW? What has actually been done in this class war? What legislation been passed that justifies you calling it a war?

Right-wingers are experts only at hyperbole, making outrageous pronouncements with no evidence.

Stop pretending you know leftists or that you are superior to them. I may not like deBlasio or most of the people in Albany but I’d take any of them over a right-wing hypocrite any day.

8 Likes

Oh please gbw. Cut the absurd rhetoric here. None of the reviews of HY have anything to do with class issues. Maybe it’s simply because a lot of the architecture is mediocre and the urban planning is, to many, less than ideal.

2 Likes

I guess I must have ruffled some Leftist feathers. I am not going to continue with politics because these posts will end up getting deleted anyway and yes, I agree YIMBY is not really the place for it (although even YIMBY delve into it frequently.)

Getting back to Hudson Yards. What kind of superior architecture do you guys think would garner more praise from the media critics?

Show me an example of the same critics that praised any kind of architecture and maybe then you will have a point.

2 Likes

Go back and read Michael Kimmelman’s columns. He has written lots of positive and lots of negative stuff over many years of work for the NYT.

2 Likes

Unless you can provide me the links, I am not going take my time to research his pieces. My guess is that he is, like most liberal/artsy critics, will knock the large, modern, affluent projects while praising the small scale and quirky/artistic works.

They are just so predictable.

1 Like

Look up anything designed by Stern of the Fitzroy near the highline.

Also look at all the developments in SoHo that fit the context of that area.

I’m actually a fan of Hudson Yards myself but it obviously could have been better.

1 Like

It’s a fantastic render-like environment. :star_struck:

03/15/19 4:56PM

12 Likes

Visited today. I felt like I was in another world. The Vessel is cool in person and I didn’t even go up (will wait for warmer weather). It’s funny how very different this end of the 7 train is compared to its counterpart in Flushing.

I could appreciate the mall architecture. The mall was overcrowded. Not my kind of shops. But I did get this free origami of the Vessel.

10 Likes

That will be a cool keepsake 30 years from now if you can hold on to it.

2 Likes

Again, small scale projects exactly like I had thought. These liberal artsy critics almost never like large scale. I looked up his bio. He lives in the Village, aka NIMBY central. That pretty much tells you all you need to know about him.

As for your context argument. The context for Hudson Yards is an open railroad pit, vacant lots, bus parking lots and auto repair shops. Did he want low rises that resemble the one story repair shops that were here?

4 Likes

Its a good thing your calling it the “Vessel”.

Rightly so. The staircase is insulting as a name. It is “THE VESSEL”.

Kinda like how the Willis Tower is really the “Sears” tower, out of respect for a legend.

I’ll never think of it as the Willis tower, it will always be the Sears tower, and thus, this will be the Vessel.

2 Likes

I also still call it Vessel
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvCMBNOHMob/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1wfm2xxpszx8g
Some photos of mine showing the rise of Hudson Yards

4 Likes

Yeah sorry but Im gonna be thinking of this as the Vessel til I die. It fits the futuristic look of the thing. NYC just took a giant step towards Coruscant status!

5 Likes

Still working on the final phase of the High Line. Looks interesting!

8 Likes

Nordstrom tower was the vernacular for central park tower and how many still call it that? It didn’t have that name for long nor existed under the prior (better) name in the popular imagination. It’s not the same as 59th st bridge/ ed Koch. Just saying

1 Like

Can we stop with the politics on this site? NYC is a democrat controlled town, if this project had no support from “the left” it wouldn’t have been allowed to move forward.

There are for sure critics of the project, but NIMBYs aren’t exclusive to any political ideology. If it obstructs their views, brings what someone thinks are undesirables, or could possibly negatively affect property values NIMBYs will NIMBY.

7 Likes