NEW YORK | Governors Island Redevelopment

Sure, right after they finish the 2nd Ave subway . . .

2 Likes

Sure, right after they finish the 2nd Ave subway . . .

Thank you. These types of grand schemes for NYC are completely out to touch with reality. It has been over a decade since Gov Island has been turned over for development and we have entertained one pie-in-the-sky after another: but not real progress.

I think this island should be designated as the physical representation of Governmental ineptitude and inertia; each year we can check in with the latest fantasy proposal and post here as a living document of this folly.

I know we all have been having fun with the various proposals; and am being a bit of a kill joy - but enough already.

Thanks for the cynical, but sensible remark HerrDavid… :wink:

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

i would be for a much shorter set of buildings (Max 5 floors) with sloping green roofs. This plan to put 25 floor buildings on GI will definitely ruin the park space.

4 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

New ^

2 Likes
7 Likes

It will be made of timber. More photos here:

13 Likes

This looks amazing.

1 Like

That is a ‘mass timber’ structure. This is a fantastic innovation in the construction field.

I don’t think NYC has had a timber development, ever. Maybe this will set the precedent for future timber developments. Isn’t there a law or something that prohibits timber construction? Idk.

1 Like

Wasn’t there a timber construction recently in Brooklyn?

Yes. The current building codes prohibit the use of Mass Timber construction in NYC. I am not sure how this structure was approved: perhaps Governors Island has an exemption.

I think there may an exception for buildings up to about 6 stories high; that may be how a few other mass timber buildings were constructed in the NY Metro area.

1 Like

Yes but not so much of the exterior was constructed with timber.

2 Likes

Not to get too far off topic, but there was this proposal as well. I’m not clear on the building codes, but the first article does note: “It will be the first in New York City to use modern mass wood systems and the tallest in the city to use structural timber, according to the firm. The project still needs to gain approval from the city’s building department.”

5 Likes