NEW YORK | Brooklyn Point (1 City Point) | 745 FT | 68 FLOORS

Great updates all around, Tec!

This one is starting to go quick now that they have those forms up.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Tectonic

11 Likes

somehow it made it a gif… tide coming up the east river.

11 Likes

this is 26 or 27 floors now, going up fast!

1 Like

9 Likes

Yesterday

10 Likes

Tec

11 Likes

This morning

8 Likes

Can start to see Brooklyn Point making its presence known.

Zoom in (click photo). Look at DoBro.

Credit: Ian Pears

5 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpX6EGugY_C/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7qevt5n4vju2

4 Likes

Credit: Andrew Campbell Nelson via NYY

11 Likes

I don’t mean to go a little off topic, but I was wondering. How come Brooklyn doesn’t seem to have a grid system for the roads while Manhattan does? It just looks to me like the streets here are a lot more random than the blocks of the island. I could be wrong though and it could be just me.

Manhattan’s grid plan was developed in 1811, long before Brooklyn was incorporated into NYC. That said, there are plenty of places in Brooklyn where the streets are laid out in a grid (e.g. Park Slope).

1 Like

Also on a side note, if anybody is wondering why Queens has such confusing street names, its because Queens use to be an individual set of smaller cities in the past. Different jurisdictions. Queens was not at one point all of the sq-miles that is Queens today. Hence why it does not have a uniformed grid numbering system like Manhattan.

Click to zoom in. Notice all the 69th drives, roads, places right next to each other or 59th road or 59th drive right next to it.

3 Likes

It’s also why the postal addresses for Queens are the neighborhoods and not just Queens, NY. The neighborhoods used to be their own towns and hamlets.

In terms of the streets, there is actually a logic to it.

If you are on a street, the first part of the address is the closest avenue. If you are on an avenue, the first part of the address is the closes street. The second part is the house number.

So an address like 36-28 84th Street (made up) means that the location is closer to the intersection of 36th Avenue and 84th Street. The house number is 28. Once you get used to this, it’s pretty cool for wayfinding.

Furthermore, there’s also some explanation behind zip codes. The 111 prefix is for LIC, which actually also includes Astoria and Sunnyside. That’s why sometimes addresses in those zip codes can say LIC instead of Astoria or Sunnyside. There’s a bunch of similar arrangements throughout Queens.

9 Likes

lots of great info baronson!

Thanks for the info guys! Was very helpful :smiley:

Today:

11 Likes

PB4_2611 by Rockjedi, on Flickr

9 Likes