NEW YORK | 740-750 8th Ave | 1067 FT | 52 FLOORS

11 Likes

I feel like these renderings are going to break the internet when released. Well I mean the internet for skyscraper and development nerds like us ha. I’m trying to think of other projects with this much buzz and breaking ground with no official renderings.

3 Likes

Everything is a process. Extell tends to wait a little bit to release the juicy renderings but even though the mass models are what they are or schematics, I have high hopes for Extell. They tend to produce quality work. We are looking at the next big attraction for the city.

7 Likes
3 Likes

This thing looks pretty ugly, but with a decent color scheme maybe that could improve. Those 3 POS at the base makes me think of the Marriot on 6th & 39th:

What surprised me in that article were the pictures: They’re drilling piles for this thing.

At the NYTimes site 1/4 mile south the bedrock was ~25/30 feet down; why would they need to drill for this site?

2 Likes

Yeah I was surprised at foundation piles being spotted so early. Must be some variance in the bedrock.

2 Likes

@SideStreet @YIMHudson could it have to do with the free-fall attraction within the planned building?

Im slightly confused by the general question about piles. Is it why this building will have piles, why there are piles, some other question relating to piles?

I guess I was surprised they would be needed. I read somewhere that the bedrock near Columbus Circle was particularly mediocre/deep, but I remember NYTimes building going up on 41st and 8th and the bedrock was surprisingly shallow.

I get that this building will be reinforced concrete and probably very heavy, but I was surprised they needed to drill piles for this site.

1 Like

I was going to mention that it’s not abnormal for concrete buildings vs steel buildings to have piles vs just footings (as this will be a concrete building) though both can still have piles, I just didnt know what the question was aimed at. But bedrock varies a great deal in NYC, specifically in Midtown, so I wouldn’t find it unusual that some buildings have piles vs just footing and also factoring the height, mass, and material to build.

1 Like

8 Likes

Click to enlarge -

5 Likes

Nothing official. Just a guess as to what this will probably look like.

9 Likes

I dislike this so much, not necessarily how you are portraying it @rgarri4, just the overall project. I also find it interesting that it’s being portrayed as blue in many cases.

I would like everything above the slope of the hotel portion to be mirrors so that it can disappear lol.

5 Likes

10 Likes

Boy this is awful—a terrible joke on a great city. I can’t believe this anti-architecture is really being built. It’s embarrassing.

2 Likes

Yeah picturing anything other than mirror glass or blue glass would make this building look…interesting.

1 Like

I want to love this but it reminds me of the top part/fret board of the guitar for the Hard Rock Las Vegas

Copyright Daniel Newcomb

With that aqua color of blue it definitely does.

When ODA uses metals in their facades, they like to use silvers and aluminums, grays, chromes, etc, and for stone they use very light colors most of the time. I want to assume that the projections on the hotel portion will be aluminum and the windows just a strip of curtainwall of normal hue, but not blazing blue or aqua. The top portion is really the main thing up for question. I still think it will be covered in aluminum or stainless steel.

1 Like

I’m surprised to see it doesn’t look bad from east looking to west so there’s that.

1 Like