NEW YORK | 65 Franklin Street | 210 FT | 19 FLOORS

based on your profile your location says “dead end town, flyover state” so I don’t know why you’re so pressed about it either way. I stand corrected if you do in fact live here.

I don’t think my current location really matters. And no, I would not consider NYC to be a deadend town lol.

I try to make zero assumptions so i dont make an a** out of myself. the current proposal is a nice bridge between the old cast irons in the area and the taller stuff.

1 Like

Anyways we got way off topic. I’m done with that convo. Back to the building at hand. I like it. The curves at the edge kind of curve when they turn, or at least it visually looks that way. It has a metallic kind of look to it which is interesting, and those terraces would be a good viewing area.

1 Like

Some people need to learn about Tour Montparnasse. This is objectively bad because it’s dramatically out of place.

Tour Montparnasse is bad because the design is bad, not because it’s out of place. Eiffel Tower, Empire State Building, Sydney Opera House, Guggenheim Museum, Louvre Pyramid were all out of place when they were built. They became icons despite being out of place because they had inspiring contemporary designs, unlike Tour Montparnasse.

No its bad because it sticks out like a sore thumb. NY skyscrapers grew organically in places like lower Manhattan and midtown. A small quaint neighborhood didn’t just one day have a massive building shoot up out of the ground.

And in the modern era we’ve crossed a threshold where those taller buildings are almost dramatically out of place with its surroundings. Except for key places, like midtown and lower Manhattan. There are plenty of places to build modern buildings. Keep the parts of Manhattan that are old and beautiful……old and beautiful. Why so many people think we need to ruin old neighborhoods with modern glass boxes is beyond me. There are plenty of places to build housing. The draw of NY is its old world charm. You want tall glass buildings, go to Dubai

1 Like

anybody pass by here recently?

Funny enough, I walked by about 2 hours ago, though on the opposite side of the street so couldnt see if anything was progressing but nothing has passed street level thats for sure. The site looked on hold if anything.

1 Like

Tribeca Citizen photo

The last I emailed with the Department of Buildings about 65 Franklin in February, they said the site had been under a Stop Work Order for a couple of years now, but at that time it still had an active work permit for a new 19-story building at the site. However, the new building work permit was active only until late March. If they corrected the violating conditions, they could ask to have the Stop Work Order lifted. From what I can tell on the DOB site, they never applied for a renewal of the permit. The picture above shows the sidewalk just sitting there, closed off to the rest of us while that site is idle.

January 2024 photo:

This other abandoned work site (and stay tuned — there’s more) at 65 Franklin on Broadway has already taken down two fine buildings in its wake. And neighbors across the street to the north on Franklin say their building is now sustaining damage as well: the construction fence comes out so far into the street (the sidewalk is gone) that trucks routinely have to ride up on the northside curb to get by. The hollow sidewalk there can’t take it. There is also an L-shaped project that is supposed to absorb 59 Franklin and 358 Broadway, which were both leveled last fall.

2 Likes