NEW YORK | 425 Park Ave | 860 FT | 41 FLOORS

Yea the back looks gawdawful…

2 Likes

I assume that the back is all elevator banks.

What is the cladding?

1 Like

The back almost looks like a separate building

3 Likes

Fuck value engineering. I’ve seen so many amazing designs horribly gimped because of it.

1 Like

I don’t think this is VE’g. The original renderings showed the back like this. I believe that the back is all elevator banks.

1 Like

Why is this building considered essential right now?

2 Likes

Good question. I am on a major WiKi Leaks adventure with all my time off these days. I say we post any news of construction work taking place - this does not qualify as ‘essential’ work.

1 Like

I really hate how the fins turned out.

1 Like

It isn’t; nothing is going on there.

2 Likes

Yeah, the fins and the back of the building are kinda disappointing

1 Like

I know this is in NYC and therefore a lot should be expected of it, but if this were in Denver? The fanfare and celebration would be epic! people from the surrounding square states would come just to marvel at it! All Denver logos would be redesigned to fit this in. You guys are spoiled.

6 Likes

When this tower is opened and lit up at night, people will sport Woodrow Wilsons.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I love the entire shape of the tower. The three split sections held by angled beams and glass that continues to the top with a stepped backbone topped with three lanterns is great. The lighting we expected was phenomenal, but it was changed to something more unpleasant. Once you change something it’s forever not the same, for example the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy

3 Likes

I actually don’t mind the back. It’s somewhat art deco, as this tower is a modern take on wedding cake design. I think it vaguely references 500 Fifth.

12 Likes

Don’t forget the diagrid glass! love it!

3 Likes

I get you on this in the sense that I’m a huge fan of proper nighttime lighting. Love to see creative uses of it. But it’s usually the first thing either value-engineered out or over-promised in the render (like when you see trees at 1000 feet in the air).

3 Likes

New post form 425’s Instagram shows a render with the crown lit up
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Fn-MUFui9/?igshid=niq2axw0rjk9

I wonder if the lights will reflect across the rest of the crown, to make it look like it’s fully lit up. Perhaps the fins don’t need to be fully covered in LED’s?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-zd1NRFyIw/?igshid=1k55wrchcopdq

9 Likes

That is an older renderings, notice the 4 beams reaching up to the roof go onto the roof to the 3 lanterns. Here is how the lights look like they’re set up

Since there’s a base under the lanterns, maybe they’ll put lights on the tops of the middle base

4 Likes

Adjacent to 425

8 Likes

This is a nice building, but with all of the filthy garbage in Midtown, it’s really a shame that these shmucks chose to raze beautiful buildings. Like this POS a few buildings down on the corner of Lex.

Or these filthy rat warrens on 57th and Alex, which are a disgrace.

3 Likes