NEW YORK | 29th St & 5th Ave | FT | 43 FLOORS

i’m still confused as to what the end product will look like. HFZ is claiming the building will have >600,000sf offices. If that’s the case, who knows if the rendering they’ve published is the final product. The rendering is what’s in the DOB drawings as a 494,000 total sf building. It also has yet to show up on BIG’s website.

2 Likes

Sure, I’ll do it. It’ll be done sometime today

2 Likes

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BScanJobDocumentServlet?requestid=5&passjobnumber=121204133&passdocnumber=01&allbin=1090489&scancode=ES405643502

Added to DOB 2 months ago

6 Likes

As requested

9 Likes

BIG excels with midsize buildings but always seem to miss the mark with skyscrapers. It’s a shame this hunk of junk will be hogging space in front of the ESB. Let’s hope 262 Fifth, the ugly Russian supertall just to the east of this one, is permanently stalled.

5 Likes

Thanks!! Not as tall as I feared but still not insignificant.

@DeSelby I’ve noticed that trend too. It’s like BIG reaches a certain height threshold and says “ok, now how do we make this terrible.”

His low rises are much better.

6 Likes

The last sketch up illustration serves as a perfect graphic representation of how FAR and NYC zoning regulations were intended function: super tall and skinny buildings rising upward to accommodate the growing population. The tall skinny towers remain at a good distance from each other as a result of the adjacent ‘air rights’ of the smaller surrounding buildings being purchased and therefore keeping those wide spaces between the super tall buildings. The solid grey area in the graphic could well represent all the smaller 6 to 20 story buildings that make up the majority of the building mass on the island. The recent midtown east (Sutton Place Enclave) zoning revision has effectively cancelled the beneficial outcome of the original zoning requirements. On the street/pedestrian level you get more Tall/skinny buildings…open sky…less dark…less dense…better air circulation. The recent ‘public’ outrage over tall buildings, and the many ‘community’ attempts to alter the current zoning regulations is ill advised and foolish. Thanks for the nice illustration and sorry for the off-topic rant.

4 Likes

Pardon my ignorance. What is the tall building with vertical lines and diamond shapes?

1 Like

The new JPMorgan Chase HQ at 270 Park Avenue:

5 Likes

But we don’t know if that’s the final design

2 Likes

Thanks guys. The location threw me off.

2 Likes

9 Likes

This project makes me sick.

5 Likes

its terrible. if you’re going to partially going to block the view of the ESB then it better be damn good.

8 Likes

this is a poor man’s 425 Park. I wouldn’t even put it on the level of Fx Fowle’s 1 Willoughby. Those at least have classy elements to go with the glass.

5 Likes

Just Awful.

5 Likes

The blue-glazed terracotta (?) on 1 Willoughby is actually very nice!

2 Likes

I was just thinking the same. The only knock on 1 willoughby is the blank wall, everything else is just right IMO. It just goes to show that not every building needs to be all glass.

3 Likes

Tec

10 Likes

Bjarke does not have this piece of garbage on his website.

3 Likes