NEW YORK | 245 Park Ave. | ft | fl

Ah, well that’s disappointing. Isn’t that only like 400 feet?

Something like that yes, but the 2/3 figure is also only factoring the floor area, the makeup of the massing could always make it taller, both 417 and 405 Park Ave.

1 Like

I tell you only an English word with two letters

NO

3 Likes
3 Likes

245 Park will immediately begin a repositioning and upgrading. The plan includes new lobbies on the tower’s Park and Lexington avenue sides, a re-designed public plaza, infrastructure advances, new retail storefronts and tenants’ amenities. KPF architects will assist on the redesign.

Unfortunately not a full tear down/rebuild, but it’s a start? Also as I imagined SL Green is working with KPF. It’d be nice if it also got a reclad like 660 5th Ave, the facade on this one is one of the ugliest international styles in the area, its hard to believe the same firm also designed the Empire State Building.

2 Likes

I agree, but sadly, the article makes no mention of a new facade, which this eyesore desperately needs.

2 Likes

I would love to see them replace that ugly brick with either terra cotta or fiber cement paneling.

1 Like

Changing the brick would be a start, but I don’t know if that alone would be able to better the aesthetic of the overall building. The spandrels (and it’s difficult to discern if they are concrete or limestone panels) are also ugly, especially the way they jut out on the podium.

1 Like

I’m not sure how real are these renderings
But it will be great if they reskin the whole building like this.

• via NYGUY on skyscraperpage.
8 Likes

I’d assume they’re real, but still preliminary/early, but I don’t think they’ll change much. It’s very classy though, KPF’s work always is. Makes the podium match up much better with the Helmsley building, I don’t know about the spandrel part though, that’s a peculiar choice.

Overall, still miles better than the gross current thing, is a pity that only a small part of the podium is being done though instead of (as you said) the whole building.

2 Likes

It looks like they’re only recladding a portion of the base — not the whole tower.

Found additional renderings (not necessarily new ones) for SLG’s redevelopment of this property.

3 Likes

2 Likes

I mean that looks nice, but I would really rather see a new tower here

3 Likes

At a minimum, the whole tower should have been reskinned. This is one of the most hideous buildings on Park,

2 Likes

Per: https://www.instagram.com/p/CtZR1bdxmVY/

4 Likes

Once again, it looks good but I’d much rather have a new supertall tower here.

But the real highlight are those renders of 270 Park Avenue

3 Likes
4 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtuFjQGxa7m/?img_index=2

7 Likes

I see MetLife