NEW YORK | 2 Penn Plaza (Renovation) | 412 FT | 29 FLOORS

It’s still a placeholder… A more lucrative placeholder. Let’s not forget that the superblock in which 2 Penn Plaza stands, has over 4.2 million sq. ft. in total.

2 Penn Plaza today (1.619 million sq. ft.) is using about 38% of the total available air rights.

Something really important will be built there one day. Not just yet.

3 Likes

Blue glass overkill in that area.

3 Likes

An important article earlier this year highlighted a bigger issue with this sight: MSG is halfway through their special use permit and have done nothing in terms of preparing a move.

They haven’t bought property, filed any permits, or even made any proposals. Nor do they have “any comment” about the situation.

Seeing as they’re supposed to be gone in five years, one would expect that they would be starting, or at least be close to starting, construction on a major site at this point.

I remember reading a comment where their chairman said “MSG isn’t moving anywhere.” I don’t think Vornado and MSG see these as placeholders, I think they’re calling the city’s bluff. They’re going to try and stay put, and hope that a new city council, mayor, and governor cave. Meanwhile, Cuomo has been using the word “renovate” more and more often in regards to Penn Station.

4 Likes

wouldn’t be surprised if this is 2 Penn/MSGs look for the next decade or so

7 Likes

Updated entry (They’re adding additional)

8 Likes

I’m confused, is the overhang they put up just a sample? Where is the rest?

2 Likes

thats a mock up

3 Likes

That seems awfully pointless.

3 Likes

Vornado is an unbelievable cheapskate. They lost interest in this and are too lazy to even take it down. It took them 18 months to replace a revolving door after a big fire at 330 Madison Ave, despite having high profile, high paying tenants. These guys are the exemplification of the Penn Station mentality. Total scum

3 Likes

That entire block and Hotel Penn needs to be erased. I hate this area with a passion.

4 Likes

What’s the cheapest way for a cheap-ass billionaire to put lipstick on a pig…

Throw in an American flag.

5 Likes

Some renderings I hadn’t seen here:

With 33rd street closed off at least there will be plenty of room for homeless encampments!

8 Likes

well, at least that prime Manhattan spot is being reserved for a megatall,

the city needs about two more decades to catch up to the idea…and any redevelopment of the area that doesn’t involve a megatall/penn rebuild would be wasted energy in my book anyway

4 Likes

Yep. Go big or don’t even bother.

2 Likes

End of that article captures my opinion exactly… “all these magical renderings and LEDs everywhere are little more than expensive lipstick for pig-Penn Station.”

2 Likes

I’d rather wait than see the site be under developed (or the area for that matter). It would be a sacrilege for an underwhelming addition(s) to the area.

The Penn Station District could rival Hudson Yards.

2 Likes

Or given their proximity to each other, form a mega district. But we don’t seem to have the vision the city did 100 years ago.

4 Likes

I truly hope that this entity is owned by Vornado. Cleaning up that disgusting block just north of the Hotel Penn is essential to the revitalization of this area.

[url]https://therealdeal.com/2019/12/23/mcdonalds-sells-midtown-retail-building-for-35m/[/url]

6 Likes

1 Penn used to just be boring, now its a yikes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CG7vC7pDfF3/

2 Likes

Eliminating the stripes was a terrible idea. They thought it would make it less tacky but it just makes it more of an eyesore

1 Like