Mcarts notes of developments and etc

Geez, with this rate we might even reach 30 supertalls! And even if counting total height, I think that even the Empire State Building wouldn’t be in the top ten!

1 Like

Almost certainly it will. And my list doesn’t even include the Penn Station towers, HY phase 2 or some others so there are even more to look forward to.

Also ESB will go from #3 to number #6, if we are talking about its 1,454 ft height, which I think is the correct height as both 1WTC and BOA’s spire heights are included.

1 Like

Looking forward with the new towers for Penn Station and Phase 2 of Hudson Yards!

Also, I think the height for 15 Penn Plaza was reduced a little based on the new diagrams, but I think it might have been revised again

1 Like

It’ll still be around its current height I think.
Lol it’s gonna look kinda small from a skyline perspective, once 418 11th and 175 Park get built. Not to mention the rest of Midtown East, HY Phase 2, 57th Street, etc. Frankly Penn area should produce towers just as big as Midtown East, if not bigger. Unfortunate that it’s being kneecapped

1 Like

I wish so too. Unfortunately, the governor reduced the size and height of the Penn station towers to “preserve” views of the Empire State Building, not to mention the NIMBY’s going berserk over it.

1 Like

Yeah it’s just nonsense trying to appease an unappeasable group of people. I think eventually in the future, just like in Midtown East, larger towers will be allowed to go up in this area

I think even the PABT development will produce a larger tower. Something in the range of 1,500 ft possibly.

Speaking of that range, I want a 250 ft spire to be added to CPT, so it will knock 1WTC of its stupid pedestal and the city will finally have an 1,800 ft building

1 Like

They should really do something with Javits Center as well, something large. Maybe build a couple really large and blocky towers, something in the 4,000-foot to 5,000-foot range or so.

1 Like

I could see some large ones similar to 418 11th go up (1,600, 1,700, maybe even 1,800), but who knows? That’s a state site, so it can bypass some stuff and be taller, etc.

1 Like

Do you think the chances 418 11th will go up to 1700 ft be likely? It would be interesting to see. :slight_smile:

But regardless, like you said it’s a state site so it can even pull some surprises. Besides we haven’t even seen the other 6 proposals so it’ll be a sight to watch.

No probably not. I think it’ll stay at its current height, and we see some changes when the RFP is released again

Yikes, 4,000-5,000 ft range?! Would be really cool to see. But would NYC really build to these heights if the FAA doesn’t interfere?

Ah okay. Even so, I think 1,663 is still a impressive height :slight_smile:

We will see. I was just throwing up an estimate for kicks, but I think if things go right, why not try and capitalize?

1 Like

@NewYorkCity76

There’s a pretty long comment on this video on the Burj Khalifa’s proven staying power that perfectly sums up my feelings regarding the emerging trends;

Per the user Treviisolion;

"It’ll probably remain the tallest for the next few decades at least. The 2020s are likely to be a period of global unrest and uncertainty, which is not the environment you want to build to be building vanity projects in (and the tallest buildings have always been vanity projects).

We’ll see what the 2030s are like, but the West is currently more interested in non-high-rise urban development as modern skyscraper architecture rarely fits into existing urban cities, which had significant urban development in the 19th and early 20th century thus setting the building styles of most urban cities in the West. There’s also little demand to live in high-rises so I can’t see the West pushing the boundaries even if the average height of cities may rise somewhat to limit urban sprawl.

China meanwhile is going to be struggling with an aging population on top of having their corruption’s debt come due. I don’t see them being active in the 2030s and much of East Asia is in similar boats with stagnating economies.

The Middle East is meanwhile dealing with decades of war, religious-political unrest, and the declining importance of oil. I can’t see the oil states of the Arabian Peninsula wanting to waste their money on vanity projects when they risk losing the foundation their countries are built on, while I can’t see any of the other Middle Eastern nations having a stable enough situation by the 2030s to throw their hat into the race, and they are unlikely to have the wealth to do so if they do stabilize.

For the 2040s we may see India throwing its hat into the ring if it continues to economically develop, and we may see a new spurt of develop lasting into the 2050s, the exact years depending on when they have an economic spurt of growth to start a construction boom, and ending when India hits their next recession.

Given Africa’s rising population I could see them taking a shot sometime in the latter half of the century. How many will depend on how well they can transform their economic potential into economic reality. Nigeria if it is successful could become a hub of super-hi-rise buildings as it is on track to have a huge population in a relatively small area, and if successful will likely become a draw for immigrants from less successful countries thus increasing the demand for tall buildings.

There is also the possibility that we may oneday see a Space Elevator, but that’s really dependent on whether we develop the right materials that can be used to build one.

So for the next few decades I think the Burj Khalifa will be the tallest building in the world, though we may see a slow tick upward in countries around the world (similar to how the Empire State Building stayed the tallest building for decades while the skyline around slowly caught up before surpassing it), but in a few decades we may see new spurts of growth as various regions around the world develop and join the age old tradition of announcing you’re a modern country by thrusting your biggest stick into the sky."

To which I added this;

“The Moon and Mars could be the next New World if we play our cards right. Every bit of new land area we are able to develop, and sustain for our purposes is that much less of a reason to limit population growth. Meanwhile, I feel like the heritage cities in Europe such as Rome, Barcelona, Paris, etc. need to work on actually improving things, or risk becoming outmoded by less historic cities such as New York or Chicago. Even London needs to get their hands dirty.”

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve seen this comment and video. The Burj Khalifa may be the tallest for some time now but I’ve recently heard that Jeddah Tower might be able to restart construction sometime later this year.

Also we’re not really sure how the future will play out because anything could happen.

Well, it may be a bit of a middle-east version of the MetLife North Building, if it isn’t built up all the way. The Burj was the Empire State Building of the middle-east, but Jeddah Tower may become a stump if they don’t start back up soon. All that exposed rebar and concrete doesn’t exactly age the best, but they clearly don’t want to demolish the whole structure.

1 Like

I drew Shanghai tower, Shanghai world financial center, and the oriental pearl tower in New York’s downtown to show what buildings of that height would look like.

2 Likes

Sorry for being a little off-topic but what do you guys think of Hudson Yards having black glass instead of blue?

1 Like

That looks great!

1 Like

Dude this whole thread is “off topic”. It’s just my thought on current developments. We can talk about what we think about Hudson Yards.
Hmm that would be interesting. I’ve wondered why developers don’t use different colors of glass. Cost? Ease? Do they just not care? I don’t know. It would be cool to walk through Central Hudson Yards and be surrounded by a myriad of different colored buildings.

1 Like