JERSEY CITY | 88 Regent St | FT | 32 FLOORS

a few weeks ago - no rush here

8 Likes

From Councilman James Solomon (who is trying to get this site shut down despite the fact that it contains a school and is thus exempt):

9 Likes

Drove by all the construction sites by Mallory, 440 and West Side and all of them had crews working. The NJCU’s dorm building and market rate rentals are still both active sites too. I don’t know how they’re just getting away with it.

1 Like

NJCU is exempt because it’s educational.

I’m guessing that wood-frame buildings are exempt until they have a roof put on them, because otherwise the structure could rot. All of those sites you mentioned are wood frame if I recall correctly.

Around Journal Sq, I saw crews working on a wood-frame building on Baldwin St, but some steel-frame buildings in the neighborhood are totally stalled.

1 Like

Here is a list of sites that have exemptions, and the reasons for the exemptions. It lists “schools” as the reason NJCU sites are exempt. It lists “site safety” as the reason 132 Yale Ave is exempt. It lists “structural integrity” and “site safety” as the reasons 400 Claremont is exempt. I’m guessing “site safety” and “structural integrity” refer to the fact that the wood will rot if left exposed to the elements.

https://www.jerseycitynj.gov/cms/One.aspx?portalId=6189744&pageId=16658257

2 Likes

Ahh I see. That makes sense. There’s a lot of loopholes in the regulations then, easy to get out of it. 74 Pollack is also steel frame, but there were workers on the roof as well as more on the ground level. Probably just securing the site? But yes, the sites you mention is all wood, especially 400 Claremont.

2 Likes

Yeah, to an outsider it’s kind of random which sites were allowed to continue and which weren’t. Almost all the sites along Newark Ave in the Village, for instance, were shut down.

2 Likes

This project was going very slowly, but ironically theyve really picked up the pace after most construction was stopped. They’re really zooming on this one now. Pouring 4th floor.
Pics from anonymous photographer

8 Likes

That’s great news. It probably helps that the first few floors are for the car garage, so not very complicated. Looks like 333 Grand filled up quickly too!

1 Like

Today

8 Likes

Anyone know what they are doing behind JC medical center? Another addition for the hospital? Parking deck? Something else?

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s an addition for the hospital.

“Foundatios and steel for new addition / Piles concrete steel. Rolled Plans”

https://www.sdlportal.com/towns/nj/hudson/jerseycity/building/permits/157221

2 Likes

By the way, they got their educational exemption rescinded after Solomon complained at the end of April, which means they’re only allowed to get to a safe stopping point before stopping now (like 351 and 331 Marin). They seem to have slowed down since then.

2 Likes

How large is the school? Probably a smaller percentage than at 25 Columbus, or else that might have been slowed down as well.

1 Like

The school is ~9,000 sq ft. But what Solomon objected to is that the school was a private school. Which is a bit of a weird objection. Going forward, with the giant budget gap looming for schools, it’s beneficial to the city to have more students who can afford it enrolled at private schools.

Speaking of the budget. The mayor has pointed out that the city won’t be getting payroll tax from construction worker payrolls or building permit fees as construction slows down. The budget for next year will probably involve a lot of cuts to essential city services.

1 Like

I agree, and St. Peter’s Prep is a great example of that.

Yeah plus the city hall staff they have asked to voluntarily retire, it seems there will be tough times ahead. I wonder if they will cancel the Via ride share service to budget cuts as well as park improvements that were in the works.

1 Like

9 Likes

16 Likes

There were 10+ concrete trucks queued up around lunch today.

13 Likes

Last week

10 Likes