JERSEY CITY | 242 Hudson St (Harborside 8) | 719 FT | 68 FLOORS

When is that meeting?

1 Like

Tuesday, February 4, 2020, sometime between 5:30 PM and 11 PM at 1 Jackson Square 2nd fl., Jersey City, New Jersey

Sometimes items get pushed back to the next meeting.

2 Likes

Planning Board’s vote postponed until Feb 21. Site 27 is Harborside 8. Site 22 is Harborside 9, which would be the subject of a future hearing and involve 1,325 units in two towers. Site 3 (rear) is the existing Lütze Biergarten.

12 Likes

Approved, with groundbreaking this year

10 Likes

Groundbreaking isn’t assured for this year.

As late as November 2018 Mack Cali said that Harborside 8 would start in mid 2019. And that Urby would start in early 2019. So we shouldn’t take what Mack-Cali says as confirmation that they’re starting this year. It’s a target, but depends on a lot of factors.

I’m not saying it won’t break ground this year, but I’m skeptical.

3 Likes

@apophenic this was posted on the JC reddit recently. Looks like the lot is already closed, but still too early to tell if it’s connected to this. In the map he referenced, its Harborside 8. Interesting coincidence though lol.

4 Likes

Thanks, that’s good news! Still, they closed off the parking lot for 500 Summit next to the PATH two years ago, and it’ still a rubble-strewn lot! The parking lot for 1 Journal Square has been closed for almost three years.

But I really do hope this one will be different and they start this one soon.

4 Likes

I’m still upset it’s still an empty lot and will be for the foreseeable future. Yes, I do hope this is different!

1 Like

Mack-Cali’s 2019 4th Quarter Report stated that the company has targeted a 2020 groundbreaking timeline for construction. The development is listed as a “priority start” under its multi-family portfolio, although the company hasn’t made any formal announcement about the approvals or possible construction just yet.

2 Likes

Urby Harborside II and Harborside 8 were both listed as “priority starts” with 2019 start dates in Mack-Cali’s 2018 3rd Quarter Report. (slide page 41)
http://investors.mack-cali.com/file/103187/Index?KeyFile=1001244892

Going back earlier Urby II was targeted for an Early 2019 start and Harborside 8 was targeted for a Mid 2019 start in their 2018 1st Quarter Report (slide page 41):

http://investors.mack-cali.com/file/103187/Index?KeyFile=1001236426

EDIT: Fixed the links

1 Like

Took a few photos as evidence that the parking lot is indeed closed

8 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, that’s a definite sign of things to come. Great news

2 Likes

Yeah, I am hopeful. That parking lot really brought down the whole area.

By the way, I noticed the quarterly report links don’t work directly, so I edited. If they still don’t work anyone who’s interested can find all the quarterly reports here: http://investors.mack-cali.com/quarterly-supplementals

I’ve been following Mack-Cali’s reports for years and noticed a lot of timeline slippage, unfortunately. Would’ve been nice if they actually started this one 9 months ago like they originally said. Mack Cali does get it done eventually though!

4 Likes

Breaking ground today.

16 Likes

Awesome vantage point! Looks like it could be geotechnical/soil testing/test piles. If we see a lot more piles arrive on site in a couple of weeks, we’ll know it’s actual construction instead of just test piling. Fingers crossed!

UPDATE: City’s website says no construction permit applications have been filed yet. But sometimes they start excavating before filing applications.

5 Likes

Spoke to the foreman on site today. He said they are driving test piles, said “it’ll be a while before any real construction gets started.” they’ve driven about 15 test piles on site. Forgot to take my camera, sorry I don’t have pics.

Hope this one isn’t derailed by the economic fallout of the pandemic.

7 Likes

Here’s a few from around a week ago.

7 Likes

Aren’t the test piles the yellow beams shown in your pictures?

3 Likes

I guess I didn’t get much sleep last night…

4 Likes

:slight_smile:

Me neither. Crazy times we’re living in!

3 Likes