JC_Heights' Toronto construction updates

10 york st. This is in a very odd/bad location next to a couple highways and ramps everywhere but it makes for a very unique and nice building.

2 Likes

Ice condos almost finished.

2 Likes

I think that was all of the places i visited. There are tons of other sites which i missed just in downtown. Toronto is going crazy with new condo development. But aside from all these residential towers there are not as many office buildings under construction that i noticed. (Aside from 100 adelaide). It will be fun to see all of these new ones rise over the next couple years.

1 Like

Hey just wanted to let u know that the 1 yorkville building is keeping all the low rise on the site and is building on top of it. This is a common practice it toronto skyscraper construction

3 Likes

veiw from hulmark center

5 Likes

This MUST be the largest boom of any North American city in terms of sheer number of towers.
I love it; Toronto is gonna kick some international skyline ass.

And now we r finally getting some supertalls.

This one is almost complete. YC condos

1 Like

This is starting to rise at 501 yonge.

1 Like

Almost topped out

1 Like

Hey I’m from Toronto and I just wanted to say check out UrbanToronto it’s like New York Yimby but for us. Especially check out the forums there! Post some of ur YC condos photos there. I really enjoy hearing what other cities think of the skyscrapers being built here!

1 Like

Looks mostly complete.

1 Like

This one is starting to rise now

Here is the render. Clover on Yonge.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on urban toronto forums. Ill check them out. Every time I come to Toronto the last 5+ years , the construction boom seems to keep getting bigger. Driving in this time was insane to see how many cranes are all over the place. I dare say the construction almost seems to be outpacing NYC.

Np! Toronto’s good at building a high quantity of skyscrapers and it’s only getting bigger!. Like even places outside downtown proper are building 60/70 story towers (Yonge & Eglinton, Humber bay, Mississauga) but what we really often lack is quality and that’s a main reason I come to Yimby. You can’t beat the quality cladding and design of New York skyscrapers. In Toronto many buildings get value engineered within an inch of their life and end looking nothing like the rendering although we are getting better.

1 Like

I noticed that all around the outside of Toronto proper -the amount of nodes for these new tall towers is crazy. Mini cities popping up everywhere you look. Its pretty cool.

But I agree. The last 5-10 years the quality of the towers seems a tad lame. But the new upcoming towers seem like they could be beautiful. Let’s hope they stop value engineering these new ones to come.

I drove by 1 yorkville today and even that one seems like it wont be quite as nice as the rendering.

Yeah all of those nodes are around subway stations that’s how developers get height here. In Toronto our skyscrapers must have at least a 25m separation from eachother unlike in New York. And our environmental laws make Window wall cladding popular which often ruins projects like 1yorkville. Below is a good recent pic of some nodes along Yonge street.

3 Likes

501 Yonge St update:

Well this seems to be the general thread ig.

Word from Maldive:

Rail Deck District | 227.23m | 70s | Craft Dev Corp | Sweeny &Co l pre-construction

Still only massing drawings, but hey there’s a sign posted. “Gee only 11 towers”, tallest @ 70 storeys-218metres… over the rail corridor… wake me up when it’s done".

5,754 condo and rental residences and 22,400sq m of office, retail etc. Oh, and a park, of unknown size but rumoured to be up to 11 acres.

Red Mars

Massing

Red Mars

UT

123 Edward | 228m | 72s | Crown Realty Partners | Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

This one will likely go nowhere fast (likely just a zoning/value add play), because it does almost everything wrong:

Tower separations=fail
Sneaking into north (protected) views of City Hall=fail
3 elevators in each tower (1 tower serving 1000+ units)=fail
1 of the residential towers has floor plates @ 1040 sq m (should be 750 to 780 max) = fail

Getting rid of the huge, ugly 6 storey above ground parkade =congrats! You’re a winner!

UT

UT

UT

Ooops… that’s a big no no below ;-).

UT

Location of the towers (orange) in context from steveve.

steveve

steveve

619 Yonge | 190.93m | 57s | YI Developments | Core Architects l pre-construction

Just some new renderings from the Site Plan Approval application.

UT

UT

In its Yonge Street context (neighbours):

UT

2280 Dundas West | ?m | 42s | Choice Properties | Hariri Pontarini l new masterplan

Choice has been negotiating with TCSBD (school board) for 4 years to incorporate school board lands in their masterplan (which included a new on-site high school and a below grade concourse
connecting to the Bloor GO Station and the Dundas West TTC Station), but the negotiations stalled.

Choice is now moving forward with a smaller (but still huge) masterplan for the site (minus the school board lands). Can’t blame Choice, but the school boards blew a wonderful opportunity imo.

The revised plan includes more than 1,900 residential units, 7,600 sq m of office space, 9,000 sq m of retail, a 4,400 sq m park and other public realm open spaces.

Before and After (masterplan)

3D
Dundas Street Elevation

3D
Dundas Street Elevation

smably
Podiums and open space

3D
Tower and Podium Materials

3D

64-86 Bathurst | 68.3m | 17s | Hines | 3XN l u/c

Another nice 3XN design gets its crane.

Red_Bulmer

717 Church Street 95m 27s Capital Developments Diamond Schmitt l approved

I loved this curvy kinda flatiron design a few blocks away from the towers of Bloor-Yorkville, but after 2 haircuts in height (now down to just 27 storeys), and other improvements such as wider sidewalks etc.), the city finally settled with the developer, so it won’t end up at the OLT.

Unfortunately no new renderings were provided in the settlement docs, just a massing drawing seen below. Hopefully the materials/design aesthetic in the earlier renders are still in the cards.

UT

Example of cladding/materials from the earlier version:

UT

Love Park 3m 1s City of Toronto Claude Cormier + Associés l u/c

Red tiling started on the heart. What’s not to love about this little oasis among towers?

BJT

BJT
Sample of the tiles that will run the heart.

PatM

W Hotel Toronto ?m 9s Larco a—A l complete(?)

Finally got its “splashy” sign on Bloor Street (there’s a joke in there somewhere).

Rascacielo

dodgeram
Rendering of. the rooftop restaurant.

UT

46-54 Ossington Ave l 3s l Hullmark l Audax l complete(?)

Really great residential conversion to commercial/retail (incl renovation) to a half dozen properties on Ossington Street.
Before

AlbertC
After

AlbertC

Lower Don Lands Redevelopment ?m ?s Waterfront Toronto l u/c

The just-delivered second Cherry Street North bridge is now in place. Eyecandy below courtesy of UT forum photographer skycandy.

skycandy

skycandy

skycandy

CIBC Square - Phase 1 (complete):

Phase 1 behind the historic Dominion building.

G.L.17
Phase 1 front door

G.L.17

(Half of) Phase 1 through a canyon, with Sugar Wharf Phase 1 towers rising to the right of CIBC.

G.L.17

Mississauga

*M3 at M City 260.29m 77s (81s) Rogers Real Estate IBI Group l u/c

Site prep for M4 @ 67s and 215.60m is underway already (foreground), with M3 barely above grade (centre of photo).

khaldoon

M3 is on the left of the render, M1 & M2 both at 60s are on the right.

UT

M1 & 2 (each tower @ 198m and 60 storeys) - u/c

bangkok

Pancake City - home to river valleys, the most extensive urban ravine system in the world, 600km of trails and a 130 metre climb to North York. Just add maple syrup.

Last edited by Maldive; Jul 8, 2022 at 12:41 PM.

Posted Today, 9:45 AM
Maldive's Avatar88x78 Maldive

Registered User Join Date: Sep 2004

Cielo Condos 99m 29s Collecdev KPMB l demolition/site prep

A couple of weeks ago the annual BILD Awards honoured this wonderful KPMB design as “Best High-Rise Building (Design)"… hard not to agree.

UT

Constructed in 1886, the church is being completely redeveloped with the United Church of Canada occupying a new head office space, while the congregation will gather in a completely rebuilt sanctuary hall.
The condo and retail tower will have 284 residential units.

Presumably (careful) interior demolition work, which began 3 months ago, is progressing well.

smably

Back of the podium.

UT

UT

55 Mercer 155.5m 47s CentreCourt IBI Group l u/c

Some charcoal precast brick going up. The mix of red and charcoal cladding on the podium should look great on this one.

Red Mars

Red Mars

UT

Red Mars

The One 338.3m 94s Mizrahi Developments Foster + Partners l u/c

Things seem to be moving along now that all the gear (like self-climbing construction elevators) is in place.

Miraculously they have finally poured/are pouring concrete in the 4 missing floor-plate corners (which have the hangers)… lots more corners left to do (never understood the logistics behind leaving
those hanger corners until later, but would love to know).

thaivic

Benito

The Whitfield 130m 39s Menkes Giannone Petricone l demolition (with heritage retention)

Condo and retail. Gas station is gone and the 2 heritage facades (one left of centre and one bottom right) are reinforced with steel.

evandyk

UT

One of the heritage buildings on site being dismantled brick by brick.

evandyk

Portland Commons 71.7m 15s Carttera Sweeny &Co l u/c

Above grade at last.

Red Mars

UT

Central Condos 138.98m 46s Concord Adex DIALOG l u/c

Crane is in the background left of centre. What can I say… it’s a Concord building :frowning:

AlbertC

Sixty Five Broadway | 132.89m x 2 | 39s x 2 | Times Group | Wallman Architects l excavation

Condo, institutional and rental.

UT

Big site.

StealthyArrow

5300 Yonge Street (now branded as “Bella” | 108.86m | 33s | Diamante Development | Scott Shields l pre-construction

Condo and retail on Yonge south of Finch.

UT

UT

Burke Condominiums | 163.4m | 53s | Concert | IBI Group l excavation

Deep dig on this one located near the Bloor subway at Sherbourne. Condo and retail.

Northern Light

UT

From a year ago, a couple of the heritage buildings prepped to be moved on the site.

skycandy

UT

The Bread Company | 67.8m | 20s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A l u/c

Heck of a lot of work being completed… before a crane has even arrived(?). Condo and retail.

Northern Light

UT

170 Roehampton | 153.5m | 46s | Capital Developments | Sweeny &Co l pre-construction

Mixed-use condo and rental building (630 units), north of Eglinton and west of Mount Pleasant Blvd.

UT

29 Pleasant Boulevard | 121.55m | 35s | Graywood | Turner Fleischer l pre-construction

Double whammy… developer change from Gairloch good to great builder) and architect change from Giannone Petricone to Turner Fleischer (ugh).

Condos near Yonge and St. Clair.

UT

Artful entrance by the new architect… zzzz.

UT
Earlier entrance version by G. Petricone

UT

Below, ending this post on a happier note…….

2150 Lake Shore | 215.75m | 67s | First Capital | Allies and Morrison l pre-construction

With the great news that Allies and Morrison (who designed the masterplan), have been retained as design architects for the project (yay!), a few renders from their website… while we wait :-).

3 dozen mixed-use buildings of different heights, tallest at 216 metres, a galleria, parks and open spaces - all across the street from 300 acres of parks, marinas and trails reaching out into Humber Bay.

View from the galleria terrace.

Central hall in the galleria.

alliesandmorrison

alliesandmorrison

Pancake City - home to river valleys, the most extensive urban ravine system in the world, 600km of trails and a 130 metre climb to North York. Just add maple syrup.

1 Like

This is double

1 Like