CHICAGO | 110 North Wacker Drive | 817 FT | 56 FLOORS

Glass is finishing its way up! January 18:

(@harryc)

6 Likes

I like Chicago a lot, but its recently-built office towers are lame, fat boxes. This is like a shorter 50 HY with less fancy materials.

1 Like

I 100% agree man. The designs are totally losing characteristics that make them stand out. It feels like they are just settling on cheap boxes so they can just fill the space and make some money. IMO, the last really freaking good tower that was built in Chicago was One Bennett Park. Hands down my favorite. I wish to see more built like this in the coming years.

One Bennet is gorgeous, as are many other residential towers rising in Chicago. It seems that everywhere in the US, office towers are largely boxes with big floor plates since that’s what office users seem to want. 50 Hudson is another example. The Spire delivers this format, but at least it also has some pizazz.

1 Like

8 Likes

Interesting to see something that tall at that location has jumped the river.

2 Likes

110 N Wacker, winter 2020 by Josh Thompson, on Flickr

8 Likes

Credit: TAPP Channel

7 Likes

Like 50 HY, this would have looked much better with more setbacks, though this tower looks better than 50 overall.

1 Like

Credit: TAPP Channel

7 Likes

As with 50 HY, more setbacks would have dramatically improved this tower.

This is like 50 HY’s poorer little cousin.

Basically, both towers suck.

1 Like

6 Likes

Lower left.

Credit: claytonriggan

8 Likes

Has anyone else heard this story, that there’s a guy that has warehouses full of these black box building materials and he keeps essentially putting up this same type of building in different cities?

1 Like

Imgur

Imgur

Pic by Harry Carmichael

9 Likes

Imgur

Pic by Harry Carmichael

7 Likes

The original version with the extra setback was nicer, but this still looks good. It’s 50 HY’s little cousin.

1 Like

110 North Wacker under construction in June, 2020 Courtesy of YoChicago

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2020/06/21/while-you-were-away-110-north-wacker-construction-continues/

5 Likes

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

pics by Harry Carmichael on flickr

8 Likes

Here’s a good angle of it! turned out way way better than expected!! :smiley:

Chicago | Wolverine Tower by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

13 Likes