NEW YORK | One World Trade Center | 1,776 FT | 104 FLOORS

1 Like

Credit: | US Census releases its 2014 city population estimates for July 1, 2013Dilemma X

5 Likes

One World Trade Center about to open for business — wait until you see the view!

The 104-story, $3.9 billion tower opens its doors to publishing giant CondĂ© Nast Monday. The company will occupy floors 20 to 44. You’ll have to wait until Spring 2015 to check out the 120,000-square-foot observation deck on the 102nd floor.

http://static3.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1992296.1414628414!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/wtcweb30n-9-web.jpg

BY RICH SCHAPIRO NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 9:02 PM

Welcome to the top of the world.

Soaring 104 stories into the sky over lower Manhattan, the majestic One World Trade Center is slated to open early next week after 13 years of fits and starts.

“The New York City skyline has been restored,” said Patrick Foye, the executive director of the Port Authority, which co-owns the building along with the Durst Organization.

The sprawling space on the 102nd floor, operated by Legends Hospitality, is slated to open in spring 2015.

From the unfinished deck, one can see as far as the Catskill Mountains to the north and the Jersey shore to the south.

Gazing out to the west, one has to look down to catch some of the helicopters zipping across the Hudson River.

To the east, the Brooklyn and Williamsburg Bridges look almost like toys. The view extends to Kennedy Airport and beyond.

Foye called it a “best-in-class observation deck.”

http://static1.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1992297.1414628419!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/wtcweb30n-8-web.jpg

1 Like

Finally, Tenants at One World Trade Center

Move By Condé Nast Is Emotional for Some, Sign of Economic Progress for Others

By KEIKO MORRIS
Nov. 2, 2014 9:06 p.m. ET

Louis Medina, a security guard at One World Trade Center, couldn’t control his emotions as he thought about Monday, the first day at work for the skyscraper’s first group of office workers, 175 employees of publishing giant CondĂ© Nast.

“Even 10 years from now, my son will ask me or my daughter will ask me, and I will be like, ‘I was there when the building opened [and] my job was to protect the building,’ ” said Mr. Medina, before succumbing to tears. “A lot of people don’t get a chance to be a part of history even if it is a small part.”

Mr. Medina’s passion represents just one of the layers of meaning surrounding the reintroduction of daily office life on the site where more than 2,700 people lost their lives in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

For many, Monday’s milestone is largely economic, evidence of the continuing reinvigoration of lower Manhattan. And for CondĂ© Nast, the move from Times Square to One World Trade Center symbolizes a corporate pivot toward the digital future for the company that produces the New Yorker, Vogue and Vanity Fair.

And then, of course, there are the more mundane concerns.

“My biggest fears about this are getting all my crap packed in time and the certainty that the first three days in the new building I am accidentally going to take the train here [to the Bryant Park stop],” said Devin Gordon, senior articles editor at GQ, whose team is scheduled to move on Dec. 12.

But mostly he is looking forward to the move. “I am a subscriber to the environment affecting productivity and creativity, and I think we can all use a change of scenery.”

The CondĂ© Nast employees who start work Monday at One World Trade Center, including Chief Executive Chuck Townsend, are the first of some 3,400 of the company’s workers who eventually will occupy 1.2 million square feet in the 104-story tower over the next several months.

When it agreed in 2011 to move into the tower, CondĂ© Nast took on the mantle as a pioneer in lower Manhattan’s revitalization, much as it did for once-scruffy Times Square when it moved there in 1999 from Madison Avenue. The move also tracks broad shifts within the company itself.

“We are moving into a full media company, offering a broad number of platforms, most of them digital platforms, and that process transforms the entire culture,” Mr. Townsend said. “Sometimes the surroundings really contribute to a change in culture.”

The introduction of regular office life to the building is expected to help speed its office leasing. In May, the owners cut asking rents nearly 10% to $69 a square foot for larger tenants on the tower’s middle floors.

Since then, the building has signed about 100,000 square feet of deals with six tenants, according to Durst, which manages leasing with Cushman & Wakefield Inc. That represents about 3.3% of the tower’s office space. Overall, One World Trade Center’s office space is slightly more than 58% leased.

Prospective tenants still ask questions about the tower’s safety—but far less frequently, said Tara Stacom, executive vice chairman at Cushman, who is leading the firm’s leasing team at One World Trade Center.

“Time has moved on and New Yorkers are so resilient and forward thinking,” Ms. Stacom said. “I don’t get the questions like we used to when we first started out.”

2 Likes

Douglas Durst Talks Queens, Midtown and WTC

BY Guelda Voien, November 4, 2014 12:22PM

1 World Trade Center

Things at what is now the tallest building in the U.S. are “going extremely well despite the stories [in the paper],” Mr. Durst said. The recent kerfuffle about the cost of construction was misleading, he claims. “A lot of the cost of construction, which is $4 billion, went into things that aren’t being valued,” in the math that is being circulated, he said. “For instance all the retail is part of the construction cost, but 
 the Port Authority kept it, and made a substantial deal with Westfield.

There are a lot of things in the building that serve the entire campus,” that aren’t being taken into consideration, he said. “And, as the article points out, trains run under the building, which adds to the cost.” That follows, we suppose. The Journal also points out that the observation decks, three floors among the office space on the towers higher floors, will add almost $59 million a year to the building’s coffers. Still, Mr. Durst underscores, the building is already generating returns. “There is cash flow for the building as of now,” he said.

And what about more tenants for the tower, which is now “scraping 60 percent” leased, according to Durst Organization public relations? “We expect to have more announcements soon.”

1 WTC after the long journey is now complete.

2 Likes

Public has embraced gorgeous new World Trade Center

By Steve Cuozzo on December 21, 2014

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/1212wtcmem01che.jpg?w=400

Yogi Berra’s eloquent observation, “Nobody goes there any more, it’s too crowded,” applies to the new World Trade Center. The only ones staying away are smarter-than-thou pundits who have no idea what they’re talking or writing about.

A visit to the WTC reveals gazillions of people swarming over every walkable square foot. They stroll over as much of the 16 acres as construction and security barriers allow, gaze up at the skyscrapers, photograph loved ones and, yes, touch the 9/11 victims’ names engraved around the memorial pools.

It’s a wonder, because the new WTC is barely half-finished and large sections remain impassable.

The two completed office buildings are as yet little occupied. Stores, restaurants, and the 100th-floor observatory won’t open until next year. Neither will the Santiago Calatrava-designed Transportation Hub.

There are no public toilets. There’s barely a place to sit — the memorial ground benches are too low for settling in.

Yet the place swarms with life even on raw December days. Take Cortlandt Way, the new Cortlandt Street extension that’s barely an alley scrunched between 4 WTC and the 3 WTC construction site.

Nobody minds that it’s buried under, and narrowed by, a jungle gym of scaffolding. Everyone’s thrilled silly that a “street” now runs through the WTC, unlike at the old Twin Towers superblock.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/1217wtcmem10che.jpg

1 Like

10 things New Yorkers can look forward to in 2015

By Ivan Perieria on December 29, 2014

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.9757608.1419900125!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/feature_730/image.JPG

1 World Trade Center: The newest city attraction will be 1 World Trade Center’s observatory, which will open in the spring. Visitors will have access to the panoramic views from the 100, 101st and 102nd floors of the tower, which is the tallest in the western hemisphere, as well as a dining area.

1 Like

Credit: Doug Mataconis ; NYC Skyline | Outside the Beltway

Older but nice. Makes for a good wallpaper.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Taken by me

4 Likes

Pic by me

7 Likes

Great photo, Chris. I love 1 WTC.

2 Likes

7 Likes

WTC as viewed from Central Park

7 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

Majestic.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I wonder when will the communication rings will be filled in with broadcasting tenants and when the last little section of the podium on the east side will finally be cladded.

So, progress on the cleaning of WTC’s glass. That’s good. They still have a way to go tho.