NEW YORK | Empire Station Complex | 8 Towers | 748-1300 FT

I prefer the ASTM proposal. that atleast has some sort of grand entrance and a cover for MSG.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking of making my own MSG concept. I looked at the plans and the construction of MSG, to observe the structure to see of my concept is possible. Like the renderings above, I would also include extra space on the first floor, along with extra seating on the middle and top section. For the exterior, I personally would combine stainless steel arches all around the structure along with a reskin with red metal panels.

Now that I typed all of that I’m gonna draw, will be posted in my concepts forum

5 Likes

This is not the ASTM proposal, i think some need to understand that, it is the same one that has been used for several months (years now even) by the state.

2 Likes

I don’t think that anyone is under the impression that it is.

The various railroads seem to want MSG to pay a lot of money. Hopefully, this will prompt them to move MSG.

It would be a miscarriage of justice if the permit is extended for more than one year. It should be extended annually and only on the condition that MSG negotiates in good faith to move.

2 Likes

It seemed like some people did think that, but that’s just my perspective.

Upon reading the RRs proposed improvements and comparing them against what you said in this recent post, the proposals do not entail MSG moving and I dont think them having to pay something will all of a sudden want to make them move because it’d still cost billions more for them to move than to stay where they are and help with the cost of improvements.

There may have been in the past, yet I havent seen any recent commentary stating that the states proposal is “half-assed” which it actually is and have only seen poor commentary on the ASTM proposal which actually does something to improve the station.

I know they don’t entail them moving. However, MSG was under the impression that it would be paid $1b for the theatre alone and that it would have to do anything. The RR’s proposals will add up to very significant money, which might give them the impetus to move.

I believe that is with the ASTM proposal, not the state’s. But someone correct me if im wrong.

But like I said, moving would still cost much more than them staying put and partially paying the total amount in the states proposal, they wouldnt be footing the entire expenditure.

That’s correct. The RRs don’t seem inclined to give MSG a dime. They want property swaps.

Yes, and that is why the Hulu theater would still remain in the states proposal and do absolutely nothing to actually improve the concourse or have a train hall. But yet everyone dislikes the ASTM proposal when it does do something about the theater. Like I also mentioned, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the arena being ontop of the station, it IS the theater that is located atop the main portion of the station which upon removing in any scenario would free up space for an enormous train hall.

1 Like

Good point. I read the following quickly and missed that the only new 8th Ave entrances are at the corners:

“Construct new entrances
to both Penn Station and MSG with glass enclosures and skylights in the corner plazas on
Eighth Avenue at West
31st and West 33rd Streets.”

Those renderings look terrible. Anything that looks that bad in a rendering will look ten times worse in real life.

1 Like

Oh, I was talking about the renders in general(which includes the new towers), not MSG specifically

1 Like

True. Speaking of that, that’s exactly how I want it. When you step out from Penn Station into Manhattan, you should really feel the skyscraper presence from all sides. You are in a mecca dedicated to the Tall. Same thing that’s happening in Midtown East (and will eventually happen for the PABT).

4 Likes

I agree with everything you said here lol. I especially like that first render (the one that is facing east) :slight_smile:

1 Like

That entire frontage shown in this rendering should be dedicated to entering Penn since all this does is just make the existing entrances slightly larger. That lit blank wall in the middle (presumably a retained Hulu Theatre) needs to go and should be a grand entrance into Penn Station that permits a beautiful sunlit concourse that allows for views of the city by arriving travellers and other improvements. Other proposals that retain MSG at least make a better effort of creating a dignified entry into Penn.

8 Likes

Here’s further incentive to move to cancerous tumor.

MSG: Penn Station reconstruction plan would force Rangers out of Garden for a year - Newsday

1 Like

Can we keep the MSG related stuff out of the ESC thread, they’re separate for a purpose.

The renders were ok because they showed massings/placeholders in the background, but there’s no reason to continue the MSG related conversations here, of which I have also unfortunately partaken in.

What a garbage post.

8 Likes

Per: NYguy SSP SkyscraperPage Forum - View Single Post - NEW YORK | 15 Penn Plaza (Hotel Penn) | 1,200 FT / 388 M | 61 FLOORS

Site 7

3 Likes

Per: NYguy SSP SkyscraperPage Forum - View Single Post - NEW YORK | Empire Station District | 9 Towers (18-20 msf)| FT | FLOORS

Site 6

Site 5

3 Likes