NEW YORK | 56 Leonard St | 821 FT | 57 FLOORS

Right, RW. But for this part of town it’s a giant! There’s nothing like it in central Tribeca.

2 Likes

Great news!! I said couple months ago late 2021 is too early. I could kick myself :joy::joy:

That’s true, Chused. That’s my old neighborhood. I lived and worked downtown for a very long time.

1 Like

I lust left battery park city (my account namesake) for a state south of NY. It was agonizing peeling myself away from the city but I’ve only actually been gone a few weeks. I can’t stand thinking about all the buildings I’m missing out on…. Had to leave for my career path unfortunately, but I can’t wait to get back to the city

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTFv1YVF_Kq/?utm_medium=copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTD9FF1LWcE/?utm_medium=copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTi2ZJmsgmF/?utm_medium=copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/CScujaSHB_R/?utm_medium=copy_link

6 Likes

The temporary covering has been removed as have the temporary interior supports. A new section has been delivered along with the little tractor to install it. Progress is indeed afoot.

18 Likes

Finally, they’re moving forward with it.

2 Likes

didn’t know Keegan had a pad here.

1 Like

I wonder if many women will “flick the bean”!

1 Like

First new section now being installed.

15 Likes

The structural supports behind the skin is far more intricate and extensive than I would have ever imagined.

This is a marvel in both art and engineering. Well worth the wait… :star_struck:

1 Like

Most of the supports seen in my image are not permanent. The tractor installing each piece uses its front “nose” to lift them and gently move them into place. Once pieces are installed and properly aligned, the steel interior stuff is removed. That’s what was going on the last few weeks–removing all the installation support pieces from the sculpture sections that were installed pre-COVID. When the last section is installed, ths support stuff will be removed through a hatch in the back. It will be self supporting when its finished, though I’m not sure if the horizontal thing in the middle will stay or go. I haven’t asked anyone onsite about that yet. In any case, the thing is indeed very creative and beginning to take on the fascinating shape it will have when its complete.

2 Likes

The bean is our lord and savior, once it comes, new york will be cleansed of all evil! Long live the bean!

3 Likes

Lol you crack me up as always

1 Like

Moving pretty quickly. Two more sections installed ( but not aligned) today.

17 Likes

Only the final “keystone” section remains to be installed. I assume all the recently inserted pieces will have to be adjusted in their final positions before the last one is inserted. That also probably means that all the new temporary support braces will also have to be taken out first. I also noticed that at one joint in the northeast part of the bean near the apartment building there are indentations along one joint line that may have happened because of a maladjustment. I have no idea if that can be fixed. Here are a few pictures just taken.

19 Likes

Stopped by again this afternoon. They seem to be adjusting the new sections installed recently and removing the temporary supports. The little tractors used to install sections are no longer present suggesting that some different method will be used to lift the keystone section into place when those doing the work are ready. Below is one picture showing a close up of one seam showing an odd curve in the metal image that shouldn’t be there. It’s a sign of a flawed installation.

7 Likes

I think this is a harbinger of things to come for ‘the bean’. This appears to be two slight concave dents on the surface reflective metal surface. The ‘installation’ seems flawless to me: someone came along and gave the bean some “blunt force trauma”… :roll_eyes: :rofl:

Now, if the installers got careless and did the ‘denting’ - that is different.

I am fussy about these things: but that one would get a pass - even by my meticulous eye.

And besides: I always enjoyed funhouse mirrors at the amusement park when I was a kid.

Big oof

Infoshare. This is not the result of a passerby damaging the bean or anyone else making a one time goof. I did a closeup of a portion of the seam but the whole row is flawed. There is a similar problem, though not as bad, on the opposite side. I am pretty sure the crew has messed up. These are not the same folks who did the first bunch which seemed good to me. I am dubious that a repair is possible but time will tell. So it goes. The thing will be great regardless.

1 Like