NEW YORK | 450 11th Avenue | 642 FT | 51 FLOORS

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnH5P9ar261/

10 Likes

Per: 450 Eleventh Avenue's Façade Progresses Slowly in Hudson Yards, Manhattan - New York YIMBY

7 Likes

This is a beautiful building, but the unfinished back looks terrible. I hope that something rises next to it and behind it soon to hide that concrete wall.

JCHeights

1 Like

What I don’t understand is why is there a square notch cut off the south corner of the whole tower that definitely would have added space and stability

2 Likes

I agree.

4 Likes

The design suggests the developers valued height above a more balanced approach.

IMHO this building represents much of what is wrong about mid-size high-rise construction in NYC today; developers failed to acquire obviously vacant land around their site, blank concrete structural walls, shady architectural paperwork probably directed by developer Marx, a watered down, value-engineered design.

The only thing that’s missing is that this isn’t cantilevered over a one-story McDonald’s or Duane Reade retail building.

9 Likes

Looks like they could have squeezed in another 2 towers and made a small courtyard/plaza opening onto 37th street. At least that would have given genuine public space and real improvement.

@SideStreet is partially correct in their assessment towards the height @TK2000. Buildings like this (on corner parcels that don’t take up full lot frontages or are not through lots) can not be built as a simple extrusion of the lot shape, especially as it regards to the function of the building. Because the building will eventually be covered on both of it’s blank sides, the layout of a hotel with a square plan in this instance wouldn’t work because rooms would not be receiving natural light anymore. It is normal for corner buildings to have notches in them and depending on the building function they will be bigger/smaller. This is a very similar instance to 451 10th Ave.

Going back to why I said SideStreet is partially right and to your original comment (TK’s) of filling in the void would have added space and stability, it actually wouldn’t have affected either of those elements. The space would have been the same because the FAR would have just been reconfigured and the building shorter, the building “is” taller because the notch takes that floor area and adds it vertically, but it’s not because the developer valued the height more than space and more so the reason I’ve previously described. I don’t know about stability though, the building is stable as is, especially when comparing a shorter rectangular tower that would have come out of filling in the void. They are equal.

The concrete wall itself will be painted/waterproofed so it will not retain it’s concrete like appearance once the building is actually completed. Panels could also be installed like at 451 10th Ave and a number of other hotels in the city with party walls or walls facing the inside of the lot without windows.

As for the being covered up in general, Tishman Speyer’s assemblage covers everything on this block but for this building, so a commercial development will eventually wrap around the tower. That tower is 99 Hudson Blvd, but there has been no recent news on it’s development so expect the blank walls to remain visible for sometime.

12 Likes

Not trying to bump the thread, but is due to the project’s lack of an authentic seal of approval from a registered and practicing architect the reason why it’s been slow and not financial reasons?

Yeah, it’s due to the first point.

1 Like

thanks

2 Likes

“Oh, my, goodness gracious, that’s a new one,”

I thought that a licensed architect is not required to file building permits: a licensed structural engineers seal will suffice for all approvals.

I am saying that I believe that is the case ‘in general’ for all building projects; which may be wrong.

I do not doubt the claim here that the architects seal of approval was not properly obtained.

I need to check on the validity of that belief. Correct me if I am wrong…

3 Likes

I still don’t understand how this project can be ‘kind of’ under construction. If the credentials are invalid, shouldn’t there be a total stop work order? Or if it was a financial issue, why do they have the manpower to install on average one window per day, but no more? The base has clearly progressed since early fall when the architect thing first came to light. Could there possibly be an issue with the window/panel supply chain that is limiting their deliveries?

3 Likes

Looks like we have a 45 Park Place in Midtown now

Egh, I guess so, but the situations are very different from each other. 45 Park Place is stalled because of financial issues and bankruptcy, where as this development is stalled because of the faked credentials to sign off on the project and like bpc mentioned, I do believe there is a façade supply chain issue. The faked credentials means that the entire building plans have to be rechecked by an actual licensed architect. But the fact that panels are still being installed may be a result of slowly checking off progress from that rechecking.

2 Likes

This one seem to me the most likely. There are significant supply chain issues on many product categories lately…

BTW. This design is a beautiful curtain wall, and reminds me of another 11th Avenue masterpiece…aka “the vision machine”…

1 Like

Nothing has really changed since the last update :confused:.

7 Likes

Well they’ve definitely put up more cladding on the podium portion since January, but yeah that’s really all.

Work has definitely resumed.

18 Likes

Even though the tower topped out before the project was put on hold, I wonder why they never took down the formwork/scaffolding at the top, it’s done.

But other than that like I mentioned, they’ve done some small podium cladding work but that’s it, the jagged portion hasn’t progressed. It felt like it took forever to walk to this from HY, it’s feels so far away from all the other developments.

6 Likes