NEW YORK | 100 Vandam Street | 330 FT | 30 FLOORS

2 Likes

City Realty photo (April 2021)

3 Likes

This is a smart, sophisticated look that will surly be pleasing to those of us who love modernist Architectural Design in all its various forms. It will be greatly disliked, loved and everything in-between.

I like the concept, the vast visual divergence in style between the old original bace, and the new modernist tower above the classical base structure. The raw concrete terrace tops will become more ‘mottled’ with time and the raw, gritty industrial look will blend well with the surroundings.

It ends up in my talks with sort of a shrug: well, you either ‘get it’ or you don’t . If you do get it - fine, if not - that’s OK too… :star_struck:

Infoshare—I get what you’re saying. But I often wonder with projects like this if a touch of context would make it better. What happens if the columns are faced with brick, or the cement and precast is tinted, or some color is used in parts of the fenestration to meld things a bit better. It’s hard to know if that would make it tacky or better, but this sort of stark contrast often jars me a bit. Perhaps you are right that things will look better as the building ages. And the balcony plantings also may help warm up the new part to make the transition from red brick to cement and precast better. Time will tell.

1 Like

If you spend the $50,000,000 they are trying to charge for this balcony, won’t you have your neighbors staring down at you the whole time? How does that work?

2 Likes

The Architectural Design of the building is a bit lack-luster; but that raw industrial aesthetic does appeal to those who like that look. Raw concrete does develop a patina over time that has a subtle beauty.

However, in the world of residential real estate, it is the ‘interiors’ that matter most to potential buyers: and these interiors are all light filled, spacious and have great WINDOWS in every room.

Good to see this one completed - it has been a long time coming.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtjVaT6uKmx/

2 Likes