Washington D.C. | General Development News + Infrastructure Projects +Construction

A typical Yimby introduction to this topic:

This thread is designated for miscellaneous low-rise projects of any stage in development. At YIMBY, low-rises are considered buildings of less then 10 stories (100 feet). Projects of 10 or more stories (100+ feet) are deserving of their own thread in the appropriate category. Significant projects of less than 10 stories (100 feet) are eligible to an individual thread. Washington‘s general development news can also be tracked here.
Larger projects over 100 feet in size can also be mentioned in this topic.

an example:

8 Likes

I go to school in Washington, DC, and since 2019, the city has really stalled in its projects. I’ve seen a big decline in investment and optimism.

As the office building planned for Parcel F at The Yards continues to move through the design review process, more detailed renderings have emerged.

The Yards: Parcel I Residential Project
The Yards: Parcel I Residential Project - JDLand.com

A rendering of the 467-unit multifamily building at The Yards that Urby will manage

2 Likes
2 Likes

5 Likes

New Renderings Revealed For 310-Unit Redevelopment of Wisconsin Avenue’s Friendship Center

June 6, 2022
Urban Turf

Rendering courtesy of Urban Turf.

"New renderings have been filed for the residential redevelopment of the Friendship Center in Friendship Heights.

Federal Realty recently submitted a modification to the approved planned unit development for the Friendship Center, which houses DSW, Maggiano’s, Marshalls, and the former Nordstrom Rack space at 5333 Wisconsin Avenue NW. The documents filed with the DC Zoning Commission included new street-level and facade images of the redevelopment…"

3 Likes
4 Likes

This would be absolutely stunning. I hope they can deliver a project of this magnitude.

1 Like

7 Likes

Does anyone have infrastructure news?

Pretty much all infrastructure in the capital region is embarrassingly delayed and over-budget.

Here is an update on the Silver Line metro extension to Dulles Airport. Maybe it will open this year, but it probably won’t. There has been no accountability for the various delays, and frankly, it’s quite clear the people running the show are psychologically incapable of feeling shame.

The suburban Purple Line connecting the various Maryland suburbs north of DC has been a shameful boondoggle with various contractors starting and stopping work and getting removed from the project after pretending to work. Perhaps work will resume in the next year or two. I am sure costs have ballooned as well.

Really a national thing

5 Likes

Transit:

https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/article/21259167/maryland-purple-line-receives-17-billion-replacement-tifia-loan

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2022/05/05/union-station-expansion-revised.html

1 Like

2 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2022/07/21/west-heating-plant-gerogetown-construction.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search

2 Likes

Who can trust these guys? I’ll be surprised if the airport extension opens this year.

2 Likes
2 Likes

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes