Las Vegas | Athletics Ballpark

rendering by BKF Engineers

Howard Terminal Ballpark concept masterplan, architecture by Bjarke Ingels Group

Howard Terminal Ballpark building heights in baseline scenario, architecture by Bjarke Ingels Group

8 Likes

This is not in San Francisco but across the bay in Oakland.

There is a chance the Oakland Athletics, famous for being featured in the Brad Pitt comedy “Moneyball”, will end up in Clark County (Nevada) instead of remaining in Oakland.

2 Likes

Moving to Clark County would be excellent. Oakland doesn’t deserve nice things.

I really hope to see this fully built out before the end of the decade. But who knows what will happen! Every month it seems to lean in one direction or the other, and its fate all lays in A’s president David Kaval, which ain’t great since he’s trying to squeeze the city out of more tax dollars. Hard to sympathize with him on that decision.

Also, previous site maps suggest two buildings in Howard Terminal could rise as high as 600 feet tall. If built, they could be either the tallest or second-tallest building in Oakland, depending on the future of 415 20th Street

3 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

Also good story from BizJournal

Somewhat related but not really, an interesting and thought-provoking article by Oliver Wainwright in the Guardian was published yesterday about how the London Olympics mixed-use mega-development has played out a decade after the games. Local politics, centralized power to Boris Johnson and rushed designers with unrealistic deadlines failed this ambitious redevelopment project. It’s important we learn from the mistakes of our international community. Also, a reminder that London didn’t have mayors until the early 2000s!!

While the issues detailed by Wainwright are so unique that a comparison between that and the potential future of Howard Terminal is a looong stretch, it is a reminder that even as I support new development, I remain critical and thoughtful about unintended consequences and broad oversights.

We will be covering Howard Terminal early next week ahead of an important city council vote about if it should be on the city ballot this November.

5 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

You’re about 6500 miles off target, dude.

5 Likes

Oakland?
Aukland?

1 Like

That article is literally from the New Zealand Herald

1 Like

It doesn’t matter. They’ll be in Las Vegas in 5 years…

1 Like
3 Likes

„ The Howard Terminal project would be one of the largest developments in California history, centered on a ballpark that would seat 35,000 fans. However, the organization, acting as the project’s developer, has promised to create a mixed-use neighborhood around the stadium.

The proposal includes 3,000 residential units, 1.5 million square feet of office space, 270,000 square feet of mixed retail, cultural and civic functions, a 3,500-seat performance theater, a 400-room hotel and 18 acres of public open space. The project will also include a certain percentage of affordable housing.“

2 Likes

???

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re able to make a deal and move to LV, like barnhillj foretold.

2 Likes

What could this move mean for the project?

I mean ultimately, I guess it would be cancelled since it’s centered around the Oakland A’s, if they move, it doesn’t really make sense to build the baseball stadium considering their current home is the Oakland Coliseum which also used to double as the Oakland Raider’s home turf before they moved to Las Vegas.

2 Likes