NEWARK, NJ | The Halo (289-301 Washington Street) | 619 FT | 53 + 52 + 42 FLOORS

Should this be moved to under construction?

2 Likes

Probably yeah

Done
:+1:

For Newark nerds, this is two blocks west of Broad and essentially behind Pru Center. So from Penn you could walk indoors through the office complex to Mulberry, then you have three blocks to get to Washington. I think a lot will depend on how well this complex is run.

The rise of Newark!

Credit: Chris Fry via JC_Digs

4 Likes

^^^

2 Likes

Per Chis:

Good news, some height data. 573 feet for the tallest component.

New tallest for Newark, massive deal! I believe Newark’s present tallest has been so since the 1931 at 465 ft. The National Newark Building. So it took essentially 91 years for this moment to happen.

Excavation is well underway.

Here’s to hoping more will rise and a moment to celebrate on this good Friday.

2 Likes

Can you see Newark skyline from New York City?

yes. From all the observation decks, Staten Island and probably the right spots in Brooklyn.

1 Like

I have a question, why is Newark so lacking? This will be its new tallest since 1931. And its only 573 feet.

Like compare it to Jersey City, whos putting up so many big ones rn.

They have similar populations, and they aren’t that far away from each other.

Or this question could go the other way, why is JC such an outlier?

I think that’s a great question and I don’t think there’s a single answer to it. But one example I think that helps, is that Newark has a large office population concentrated in the downtown area, 5 colleges and universities that for the most part, are geared toward commuters. In Jersey City, the city itself became the housing for all the workers in Manhattan and downtown JC. Developers didn’t see any potential development as making as much money as they would in Jersey City or Hoboken since most of the people who worked in downtown Newark had a car. I think the Hahne Building renovations, Teachers Village, new retail and restaurants, smaller residential buildings and office building conversions have slowly started to make an impact. Former Newark resident here lol

1 Like

Well let’s hope this project signals the start of lots of large projects!

1 Like

It’s faster to get to Manhattan on PATH from JC as opposed to Newark. Location location. Plus before the riots Newark was more its own city with a separate identity and infrastructure away from NYC.

it’s more regional pull than anything. If someone was looking to build a new headquarters tower in the 20th century and they had the option between Newark and NYC, they would go with NYC. All the big shot developers and contractors of the region are in NYC. I remember 30 Hudson Street was a pretty big deal when it went up in Jersey City.

Newark has so much potential. All the infrastructure is there for a world class city, it really should be what Shenzhen is to Hong Kong

Uhh what? Shenzen is bigger and richer than Hong Kong, wdym by that analogy?

To add to the other points people have made…Newark leadership wants to be careful about wholesale gentrification. The unfortunate side effect of JC’s rapid development means a lot of low-income locals get priced out. Not to say JC is being negligent towards marginalized communities, but the avg rent costs aren’t exactly affordable.

A good portion of Newark residents would be displaced if the city allowed completely unrestrained, private development. They obviously want to attract more businesses and increase the number of owner/occupied buildings. However, they want to enable local communities to be decision makers in the city’s revitalization. Sometimes that means not allowing intensified land uses like a super-tall skyscraper.

1 Like

Just saw this pop up. Newark from Brooklyn

IMG_9104 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

5 Likes

Credit: newarknjblog

6 Likes

Credit: naglephoto

12 Likes